Author Topic: Osage in West Michigan? please help  (Read 2693 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Osage in West Michigan? please help
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »
so, my stash of osage, which was once rather considerable, has been pretty much depleted. as much as i love working with other woods, i love osage, and would love to have the security of having more than two staves to choose from as well. so i was wondering if there was anywhere in west michigan that anyone knows of that i can cut my own osage?
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage in West Michigan? please help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »
Wouldn't tell you if there was! That's like giving directions to your gold claim man!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:57:15 pm »
or i could offer something in exchange for staves? my problem being that i usually end up trading a knife for a stave and i want more than one stave i want a bunch to choose from when i decide to make a bow but as it is i have 2 osage staves an eastern red cedar, a couple of 50" pieces of something the guy i got it from called "scrub elm", and some cherry. and some highly figured and disasterously knotty black walnut.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:27:07 pm »
You must be old enough to drive by now right? You make your way to Elm Hall in a few weeks and Ill give you a stave of osage. Its about 60-70 minutes on the road.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:57:10 pm »
I know where theres some  8) .....but I aint saying  :-X  >:D ..... +1 what pearly said.....go find your own like every man goes out and finds his own girl...I aint sharing mine with you  :P  :laugh: ..its out there...ya just gotta look hard  ;)   that said if ya have something to trade ill trade ya osage for something up at elm hall if ya got anything that interests ya

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:50:17 pm »
okay cool well thanks guys! :) i am a knifemaker and i make everything from small paring knives all the way to machetes, so if you'd be interested in trading for a knife of virtually any size or shape i am your moan. otherwise i have other stuff too like trade points and handle blanks for knives and cutler's resin among other things. and i think i should clarify that i wasn't looking for directions to anyone's stash, i was looking more for any calling cards to look for that would help find the stuff, like should i look high on hills or low in ditches? does it commonly grow next to certain other species of trees?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:19 pm »
Most of it I've ever seen was growing other side of the barb wire fence, across the creek, belly crawl thru the briars to sneak past the dogs.  Worth the effort.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »
Tell ya what tl&m, if you were in SE Oklahoma I'd take ya and let ya cut all you could carry
Knapper
Plus you'd have to cut mine also :laugh:
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:55:02 pm »
If you can drive, get a cold pop and good tunes and head out into farm country and ask for permission from landowners. Might get lucky and secure a longtime spot to harvest from.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:28:35 am »
Anybody ever heard of osage in Minnesota?

owlbait

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:22:33 am »
I heard there was osage in Nunica. Good luck.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:01:09 pm »
I heard there was osage in Nunica. Good luck.
HEY !
that's nothing more than a nasty rumor!

Offline jimbows

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:45 pm »
I feel your pain I just moved back to west Michigan from Pennsylvania and have been looking for some as well just haven't found any yet, I just need to get out some more.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 08:43:15 am »
What's up fellas? Twighlight, and Jimbows, I live in Rockford and haven't found any yet. I probably just haven't asked enough people though. There's plenty of other good woods out there in the mean time. Good luck finding some! If ya need a hand once you find that mother load, I'd be happy to help out.>:D

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »
hey a Rockford guy! im really close to you!  ;D I'm in sparta, just a stone's throw away. if anybody has any good hickory, i would be just as happy with that too. i know one person who runs a christmas tree farm who has it growing all through the rows but he wont let me cut it for whatever reason. i got a few clear mulberry staves yesterday, but they're fresh cut and won't be workable for a good while >:(