Author Topic: western community bow  (Read 21860 times)

Offline david w.

Re: western community bow
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 09:56:24 pm »
I just finished reading hillbilly's great story on the southern community bow. great job guys! that is one sweet set of archery tackle. but I would like to see what the pioneer spirit of the west can produce. I am sure we can be competitive to a bunch of possum eatin hillbilly's. LOL. I will donate a yew stave roughed in and floor tillered....any takers? we could draw the line maybe at the mississippi river? or another suggestion..

i am within walking distance of the EAST side of the river :'(
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Gordon

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 11:37:17 pm »
I narrowed the tips some and put in mild recurves. I first tried steam yet, but that seemed to have no effect. I then boiled the tips for an hour and they bent just fine.

Next up, bringing the curves into alignment.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Gordon

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 11:41:38 pm »
Haven't seen this in awhile - that looks good Gordon. That form resembles the one Saw Filer had described some time back. I'm going to have to make one like that to keep the tips as close as possible during curving..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dano

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:53 am »
Nice job on them tips Gordon!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Keenan

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 12:38:04 am »
 Wow is that looking nice. Great job guys. And you did awesome on those tips Gordon,,,,, ;D ;D ;D Keenan

Rich Saffold

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 01:00:16 am »
First time I have seen this thread..Very nice, gonna be a feather burner! ;D

Rich

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 01:11:42 am »
Nice job Gordon!  It's beginning to look like a real nice bow.  Are you going to send it on once the tips are aligned, or do you have the next step planned?

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Gordon

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2008, 02:11:13 am »
Are you going to send it on once the tips are aligned, or do you have the next step planned?

Well, I thought I might tiller the bow before sending it on to Keenan for skinning. Is everyone alright with that?
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2008, 02:18:04 am »
Unless, of course, you want to sinew back it. But at 61" ntn I don't really think it is needed - not with this nice piece of wood anyway. What weight do you think we ought to shoot for?
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2008, 02:20:56 am »
 Sounds great to me Gordon I think you'd do a better job on that then me ;D ;), And the skins shouldn't really change things much at all.  Keenan

Do you have any idea where it is on poundage now?  Is there still plenty to work with or will we need to reserve or even boost the potential? Keenan

Opps neber mind just looked back and see there is plenty of wood there. ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:27:52 am by Keenan »

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2008, 02:23:29 am »
I would vote for a 40-50 pound bow.   It's beautiful wood, but a thin layer of sinew wouldn't hurt.  It's up to you, though.   Just my two cents worth.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Gordon

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2008, 02:55:37 am »
I think we could easily make a 70# bow from this stave if we wanted to. If we want to back with sinew, then I'll just align the tips and send it off to Keenan. Too much moisture right now to do a sinew job on this side of the Cascades. Just let me know what you all would like to do.

Oh Keenan, you're much too humble. I've seen your work first hand - you could tiller circles around me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:59:28 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2008, 12:07:10 pm »
 Okay I talked with Keenan. I'll align the tips, tiller the bow partially and then send off to Keenan for sinew backing.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »
I started looking at West Coast designs and I hate to say it, but I think I've already blown it if we wanted to stay true to that style of bow. First I narrowed the tips to about 1" which was a mistake if the bow is going to have pin nocks with wide shoulders. And second, the recurves I put in are too long. I feel really bad about this. I'll go ahead and align the tips, and then send it on its way before I do any more damage. :-[
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2008, 06:48:21 pm »
 Gordon,, Dave was over here this morning and just left a few minutes ago but I had should him your earlier post and he was very pleased. There is probably still enough meat on there to do the pin nocks and We could shorten a hare of the tips if you think they are to long. But I don't remember the overal length.
  I'll give Dave a call and see if I can get some better feed back. He really knows the styles alot better then me.  Keenan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:36:06 pm by Keenan »