Author Topic: western community bow  (Read 21887 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Re: western community bow
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 06:36:50 pm »
sent the stave out to M-P today to do the next step. who wants to get it next? we need a team! :D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 09:10:05 pm »
Hey fellers, I was waitin around to see what happend. Don't trust myself to work on someone else's bow yet, but them arra's are gonna need points - would be happy to throw in my two cents worth :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 12:10:12 pm »
Looks like yall have a pretty small Army. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »
Pappy,  I guess the folks out here are either too busy or too independent.  Or maybe juniperjunkie got a whole bunch of pm's and he has a list of names a yard long.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 06:50:57 pm »
Hey, I'm a born and raised Nevada resident... so that counts for the west. Don't know what I could do, but if there's anything just drop me a PM.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 09:43:12 pm »
Think youre right Pap - need a chief :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 12:19:41 am »
where is the pioneer spirit??? the spirit which created the Oregon trail, conquered the new frontier (actually it was stolen from the natives), and helped to create the greatest nation on earth!! ??? us decendants of these great pioneers cannot fail in this cause, a call to rally our troops in defense of honor and glory, which is ours! ;D. let us show them yanks and confedrates what we are made of >:D who is with me???? ??? (yeah, I have had too much coffee) 8)

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 12:27:30 am »
Hehe ;D. Here we go...

Offline Traxx

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:58 am »
Hey Watterlogged,
You have a PM.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 03:39:36 pm »
Hi Folks,  I picked up juniperjunkie's stave today and it looks nearly ideal.  There's just a couple of small knots to give us a slight challenge toward the final stages of tillering.  Overall it looks to me like the sort of starting material most stone wielding peoples would have chosen, not too big and nice straight grain.  I'm in the final staging of shooting in my latest bow.  It's a west coast indian influenced bow, but lengthened to allow a 28" draw.  So far the new bow is living up to my expectations so I'm going to base the community bow on similar lines.  ~ 60 inches long, short recurves on the tips, bend through the handle bow with sinew backing and art work on the back.  That's my vision, though as I understand it each person that gets the stave gets to amend things based on their idea of what the stave is doing.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 02:34:47 am »
Hi folks,    Juniper sent me a wonderful stave, but I'm afraid that with season and all,  there has been zero progress on my part.  I have a couple of extra days off this week and was planning to start soon.  Tomorrow I've promised to go wood shoping with a friend  and get him started on an Ipe bow.  Once that's out if the way I'll start on the yew stave Juniper Junkie sent.  I'm plaaning on cutting the stave ~ 1.5 " shorter to even up one end.  That will probably mean redoing all the lay out lines Juniper made.  I'll do the preliminary shaping and floor tillering.  The next step is further cleaning up of the back and working closer to whatever knots are left.  Then the tips need to be recurved by bending or tabbing.  Volunteers contact Juniper Junkie!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 02:55:14 am »
OK folks,   I worked on the western community bow today.   I cleaned up the back a little more, and then checked the layout lines that juniper junkie laid out on the belly.  There was a fairly large defect on the back at one end.  Wish I'd thought to take a photo before working on it.  The defect appeared to be a chip due to starting the saw cut at two different levels.  Juniper's layout assumed that the stave would be left full length, so I didn't want to just cut the affected end shorter and have to lay out the lines all over again.  I basically said what the heck, it's only in the sapwood and just thinned the sapwood to below the level of the defect.  Then I began thinning the belly at the edges to bring the stave to pretty much a lenticular cross section everywhere but the handle.  As near as I can tell from the literature these bows were always thinned at the edges, never perfectly flattened bellies, or round cross sections.  By the time I got done the stave was starting to floor tiller pretty good.  Attached are some pictures I took before working on the stave.  I'm posting email sized versions so the detail is poor, but you can get an idea.  I included my latest bow for comparison.  My finished bow is mountain juniper from the Mt Lassen area.  The finished dimensions are almost identical the the stave Juniper Junkie provided.  My bow appears slightly shorter, but that's due the recurves.   
I'll work some more on the floor tillering in a couple of days and then I think I'd better send it on to someone else.    Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 12:14:55 pm »
Whoa! Now that's turned into a fine lookin bow - look at that tiller, Yeehawww ;D.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 01:02:10 pm »
Thanks Cowboy,   I'll be posting more photos so it can be in BOM, but the point is, the stave Dave provided for the Western Community bow should has the potential to become something at least as good.  We do need more participants though.  The more the merrier at least partly 'cause everyone gets to make a decision or two so that the bow will hopefully end up different than anybody imagined.    Ron

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »
Hey Westerners I'd love to help. Just let me know what you need from me. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley