Author Topic: western community bow  (Read 21858 times)

Offline juniper junkie

western community bow
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:30:52 pm »
I just finished reading hillbilly's great story on the southern community bow. great job guys! that is one sweet set of archery tackle. but I would like to see what the pioneer spirit of the west can produce. I am sure we can be competitive to a bunch of possum eatin hillbilly's. LOL. I will donate a yew stave roughed in and floor tillered....any takers? we could draw the line maybe at the mississippi river? or another suggestion..

Offline Dane

Re: western community bow
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »
If this gets off the ground, I can weave and sew a....bow sock. Never guessed, did you guys?

I'm originally from the West (California), do I count?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 05:26:31 pm »
Count me in for some arrows . Am gun shy of bows lately.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:56:15 pm »
I'm in. I could tiller, or install tips, or finish, etc. Just let me know what you need done.
Gordon

Beleg813

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:31:10 pm »
Count me in as well--I can make really good posts about awesome bows that other people make! I can contribute stuff like, "Awesome bow!" or "Great craftsmanship!"

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:32:38 am »
Hi folks,  Count me in.  I'd like to suggest a west coast style bow, though maybe stretched a little to accomodate a more modern( 28") draw.  Sorry if that's getting ahead of things, but my mind is racing already.   I like to work with sinew and would sinew the bow, if we start one that needs backing.
Hey Dane I for one am willing to let you work your fingers to the bone weaving bow socks.  Thanks for the offer.
Juniper Junkie, are you sure you can spare a yew stave?  That last truckload of yew will take a while to season.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:25:59 am »
ron, I have other yew all ready to go. by western style are you meaning native? such as a yurok or klamath short bow?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:41:47 am »
Juniper,  Yes I meant a western native bow, such as Yurock, etc.   Or at least one inspired by the originals.  The sources I'm looking at suggest the originals ( all tribes combined) ranged from 30-55".  I was thinking that a 55-60 inch backed bow if this general style could safely take a 28" draw.  In addition, it would give us an excuse for some potentially super painting on the back, and perhaps some footed arrows etc.
I'm currently working on a mountain juniper bow with this general idea.  It's 2" wide, slightly bendy handle, bent tab ends and 62" long.  I've got it all ready to paint the back.  I haven't chrono'd it yet, but I'm happy with the way it shoots.  If it holds up, I plan to try agian with a 55" bow in yew or juniper.
Anyway it's just one suggestion.   
I kidding about seasoning the yew.  I'm just jealous about that truck load you were posting pictures of.
Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:34:01 pm »
You got a problem with possum? :D Sounds like a good deal ,looking forward to seeing what yall come up with,keep us updated. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:49:06 pm »
Hey Ya'll.  I live in GA and I'd like to be part of the western bow project.  I know, I know, I'm an easterner, but I've got some great ideas!

Here's what I'll do:  I'll take a sliver of rotten hickory, glue it on the back with old, rotten stinky hide glue.  But before I use the glue, I'll mix a big bag of glitter into the smelly, putrid glue.  That way when the hickory is glued onto the back, it'll be all glittery.  Then I'll glue spikes on the belly of the bow that face toward the shooter.

Here's what happens:  The guy goes to shoot the bow for the first time.  When he pulls it back, the rotten hickory will pull apart, causing the bow to explode.  At that very moment, the hide glue will immediately pulverize.  All the glitter will be released and it will fall slowly to the ground like a magical wonderland.  Of course, don't forget about the spikes that I put onto the belly of the bow.  Those will be impaled into the shooter as he watches the glitter fall to the ground.  Busted bow limbs, stinky glitter, and some guy with a serious case of splinters will be all that remains.  Now, let me join your team!!  MUAHH HAAA HAAAAA!!!  >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:10:12 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:21 pm »
Billy, perfect! Get to work on it.

I can hardly wait to see your full draw picture, of course :) The glitter and blood will be truly magical.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:19:34 pm by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 11:14:46 pm »
Well guys, It would be nice to get a couple more interested people to get this project off the ground.   From the suggestions they're making, it sounds like we have some of those southerners running scared.  Anybody know someone well enough to pm them and dragoon them onto the project?    Ron

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 11:19:32 pm »
whoa there billy, did you have some funky mushrooms on your salad ?????  OK you can join our team, just promise you wont sabotage the bow.

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 11:10:44 am »
HAhaha...I was just kidding!  I would be a part of the bow project, but I just don't know when I'll find the time.  I've got too much on my plate already.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 11:19:02 am »
I will get to work on the stave this weekend, who wants it next? send me a PM with your address.