Author Topic: String Material???  (Read 7319 times)

Offline Arrowind

String Material???
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:16:21 pm »
I apologize if this question has been asked a million times.  I've used artificial animal sinew and B50 but mostly B50.   I've been wanting to try a different string material with less stretch.  A lot of bowyers I respect on here suggest fast flight.  Some bowyers I respect say don't touch the stuff.  I've decided to give it a try.  I just went on Three Rivers' site to order some.  Now I'm confused.....What the heck do I use?  Seems like Fast Flight Plus would be the one to go with.  It also seems like Astro Flight may be even better for all the same reasons people have said to try Fast Flight.  And I just don't see "Fast Flight" at all..... :o

Here's what I found:

Fast Flight Plus
Astro Flight
BCY 450 Plus
BCY DynaFLIGHT 97
BCY DynaFLIGHT 10

???
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Weylin

Re: String Material???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »
FastFlight Plus is what I use. I got a spool for 25$ online. You can shoot that trade bow and see what you think of it because that's what I used on it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »
From my experience and you got to remember we're talking wooded/self bows................ "no stretch" material as you have listed is like cereal many different choices but you still end up with cereal.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:11 pm »
I use fast flight plus, definitely happy with it, worth the money in my opinion. I also like normal linen from pyrosupplies.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:23 pm »
Thanks guys.  Just ordered some.

Weylin,
The bow shoots awesome!

Yeah.  I noticed the string is so much thinner than the ones I've been making. I was wondering if you used Fast Flight.  How many strands did you use?   I still plan on taking some pics.  Probably Saturday. 

Danzn - making me hungry man.  Might have cereal for dinner tonight.

Toomany, thanks.  Nice to hear your opinion on this.   I've been wanting to try linen also just wasn't sure where to get it.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:06:53 am »
I made the switch from B-50 to FF about a year ago and have no regrets.  I have been making double loop twisted strings and my spools are going a long way. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 03:31:10 am »
I can recommend Fast Flight plus.  Haven't tried the other FF spin-offs, but there is definitely a big jump from B50 to FF plus.  From making the string to shooting, it is a completely different animal.

I have to caution against linen string from pyro supplies.  I got a spool that tested at half the breaking strength advertised.  It was well recommended, so maybe I just got a bad spool.  We now use it as trellace material for our scarlet runner beans. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 04:25:51 am »
Remember all these different names are there for marketing! All these strings are based on a material called dyneema - it is used in many different applications and is close to perfect for bowstrings.
Good quality linen can be like rocking horse doodah  ;) If you find a particularly good batch you should buy it all! Very good linen will make a string that will almost match fastflight but just won't be as durable.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:50:51 am »
We use D97 most of the time, 10 or 12 strand on most bows 55 and down. No problems. I stayed with b50 till we ran out,some say it's more traditional but heck it's all man made, I guess linen would be my choice if I wanted to go natural. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:58:22 am »
Ive used 10,97, plus and 452x. I love them all and will use any of it. I look for the best price and buy it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:19 am »
Thanks Guys.   As I mentioned earlier a lot of Bowyers I respect on this site have recommended FF.    I've seen incredible bows from all of you guys.  So I really appreciate the comments.  It makes me feel better about spending my limited amount of cash. 

I've gotten to the point that I'm trying to fine tune how I make bows to squeeze out a little more performance.  I know this is just one factor but It seems like an easy place to start.   I'm working on my trade bow and want it to be the best it can be.  I don't want my guy to be disappointed.  Also the idea of less arm slap is appealing.

As for number of strands.  Isn't FF much stronger than B50?   How many strands do you use?  Part of the reason for wanting to use a this material would also be to lower string mass.   I typically use 12-14 strands with B50 (maybe overkill) but that's what I've been doing. 

People have commented that FF goes a long way because they use less of it.   It seems like people trying to sell the stuff want you to use more strands than you really need for obvious reasons.  The more you use the more you have to buy.   

Any suggestions?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:20 am »
8-10 strands with any of it up to 60# for me. I don't build bows any heavier very often. Never had a break, an unravel and wear out or anything. I have 3 year old strings that look new after hundreds and hundreds of shots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:29 am »
I tend to make my hunting weight bows with 12 strands. (that's what yours is) But like PD says, that's probably a little overkill.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »
We use D97 most of the time, 10 or 12 strand on most bows 55 and down. No problems. I stayed with b50 till we ran out,some say it's more traditional but heck it's all man made, I guess linen would be my choice if I wanted to go natural. :)
   Pappy

Seems like we were just talking about this at Cloverdale :D

If I remember right, Jon said 97 was the ticket but they all will work.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline razorbak

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:52 pm »
I have used every type of FF material on the market and best I found is a BCY 8190 16 strand. Still thin but strong and way less stretch than alot of them on the market and its real  quiet to boot and I don't use silencers with proper tuning