Author Topic: tradebow dilemma  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Josh B

tradebow dilemma
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:00:59 pm »
I'm getting  close to finishing my tradebow and as the title says, I've run into a dilemma.  I'm building a replica eastern woodlands bow from the encyclopedia of native American bows and arrows.  So far I've been able to keep it period correct with one exception.  I had to use modern paint as I don't have the proper natural pigments.   Now I find myself on the threshold of yet another compromise in authenticity.   That compromise is that I don't have my natural finish with me either.  All I have is tru-oil.  With the deadline fast approaching, and not knowing when I'll get home again and for how long it would seem I have a choice to make.  Do I stick with the natural finish plan and risk being "that guy" that didn't get it done or do I grit my teeth and use the tru-oil.  If this bow were coming to you, which would you prefer?  Josh

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: tradebow dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »
Since I use Tru oil on all my bows, the answer for me is simple.  That said, if you want to keep it as authentic as possible, I for one, would respect that and not care one iota if it was a little late - - but, if it is coming a little late, the mods should tell the recipient so he/she is not left wondering. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »
Tru oil!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:24:08 pm »
Use the Tru-Oil, Your not making it as a museum replica.  I'm sure your guy does not care that it is authentic, just that it was made with love.  ;D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
Speaking for myself only.... if it were coming my way I would be happy to wait for you to finish it as you planned with a natural finish. I've made compromises a few times because I just wanted to be done with a bow and then regretted it later. Some things are worth waiting for. Either way thats gonna be a nice one Doc.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »
What ever  you decide on the finish it will be worth the wait.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »
Josh this one has to fall on your shoulders, is there any way you can pick up what you need to make your finish on the road, maybe someone here will be in route and you can acquire  some natural finish, you could have mine but i' prolly out of the way a bunch
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:42:37 pm »
Sorry, I got a little panicky too soon.  I'm leaving ft worth in a minute and headin home to momma and the kids!  Thank you for the replies fellas, I appreciate it!  Josh

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:55:50 pm »
Ishi used shellac when he could get it. I'm guessing he would have loved Tru oil ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:10:47 pm »
Lol! I suspect he would have loved tru oil.  I know I do!  Josh

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »
Well, if you're making it for me I'd say wait and do the natural finish that you want to do but I know I'm not lucky enough to get a Gun Doc bow two years in a row!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:25:50 pm »
Speaking for myself only.... if it were coming my way I would be happy to wait for you to finish it as you planned with a natural finish. I've made compromises a few times because I just wanted to be done with a bow and then regretted it later. Some things are worth waiting for. Either way thats gonna be a nice one Doc.

+1

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »
What natural finish do you use? I used bees wax with a little olive oil melted into it on the short bendy handle bow i made at the classic and so far realy like it as a finish but i dont think that would be period correct though. But it is natural and easily applied with no waiting between coats.
Steve Bennett

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 01:14:27 am »
Doc if one of your bows was coming to me you could finish it in buttermilk...  just ship it :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:24 am »
Tru-Oil is good stuff...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX