Author Topic: Trade Bow progress and advise  (Read 1639 times)

Offline autologus

Trade Bow progress and advise
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:40:52 am »
Here is where I am with my trade bow, it is coming along nicely but I would like some advise and opinions on how to proceed.  I am about ready to seal the bow, I have the spray shellac and Tru-oil, do I apply a coat of shellac so that I can sign the bow followed by another coat of shellac to seal in the signature then after that apply as many coats of Tru-oil and needed to get the finish I desire?

I have not stained the bow and was debating on leaving it natural color or do you all think it would look better with a stain to bring out the grain of the Kentucky Coffee Bean?

The overlays are quartersawn White Oak, do you think I should stain them to darken them up a bit and bring out the figure in them as well?

I have a lot of questions and would appreciate any advice or opinions on how you think this bow would look best, you never know you might be helping choose the finish on your bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Trade Bow progress and advise
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:09 am »
I like it as is Grady. TO alone will make the grains pop. Although not needed, you can apply a coat of shellac and let it dry an hour or two. Then add two coats of TO. Let that dry and sign the bow. Then add another 2-5 coats of TO to finish it off. Its all personal opinion after 3-4 coats.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
What does your guy like? Plain Jane? Dye jobs? Either or would work for me as long as it was done well..I just don t like plain white backs,but yours doesnt so either way for me....

+1 pealry about signing n oiling

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:47 am »
Good looking bow by the way Grady.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:07 am »
+1 to what Pearly suggested is the way I do it. I think that bow looks great without any stain and the tru oil will make
the grain pop. Is that the cherry bark from Carson on the back?, looks really good Grady. I like the contrast between
the dark back and lighter belly wood,  great lookin' trade bow man.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
With the cherry bark backing you don't need to stain the bow or the tips. Tru-Oil will make both pop like Pearlie suggested.
 If you are using a Sharpie to write on the bow I'd first add a few coats of tru-Oil(over the entire bow) then when they are good and dry do a quick spray of satin poly where the writing will be. After the poly cures completely write on the bow and let that dry well then continue with another 4 or 5 coats of Tru-Oil with a buffing with 0000 steelwool.  If you don't like the high gloss of the Tru-Oil another quick spary of the satin poly will tone it down a bit with detracting from the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:15 am »
Looks very good to me as is,I would seal her up and send it on it's way,I think the overlays look pretty sharp,they will really shine with Truoil on them. Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:25:33 am »
I concur with the masses .  Seal it, sign it, and ship it!  No stain.  That bow is a beautiful blend of contrasts that really pop!  Nicely done sir!  Josh

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:03:21 pm »
Nicely done sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:25:56 pm »
Thank you for all the nice comments, I guess I will seal her up and get it finished.  I thank you for all the advice, I have never used Tru-oil before and did not know how it would bring out the grain.  Now I have a beaver tail to thaw and skin and a string to make.  The cherry bark is from Carson at Echo Archery, it was very good stuff.

Grady

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:22 pm »
If it is going to Pearly then Osage Outlaw has some pink stain that would be just right for it !
 >:D :laugh: :laugh:

Nice looking bow should be good to go with True oil !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:13 pm »
Skip the shellac and go straight to the tru-oil, shellac isn't waterproof, tru-oil is.

Offline autologus

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 01:01:19 am »
Thanks for the advice on the Tru-oil first coat on and man does it do wonders.

Grady

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 02:35:24 am »
Thank you for all the nice comments, I guess I will seal her up and get it finished.  I thank you for all the advice, I have never used Tru-oil before and did not know how it would bring out the grain.  Now I have a beaver tail to thaw and skin and a string to make.  The cherry bark is from Carson at Echo Archery, it was very good stuff.

Grady

Hmm I wonder if that's the bark I harvested ;)

Looks good buddy!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:10:28 am »
down-right-sexy in my opinion!
Philippians 3: 7-11