Author Topic: glue  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Flatlander

glue
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:01:39 pm »
is there a big difference between smooth on epoxy and the epoxy in the tubes from the hardware store? smells and looks the same.?  8)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:44:43 pm »
Well, does it glue the same? ;)

Epoxy is epoxy in my opinion... and I have tried many, many different types... two tube, two can, heat cure, 5 min, 24 hour...
Smooth on Epoxy is a certian brand of epoxy... the one you are probably talking about is EA-40. It probably has some sort of additive to make it thinner so it can be spread easier. IMO two-tube(properly called syringe) dispenser epoxy is often thicker and somewhat more diffucult to spread.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:46:47 pm »
Smooth on EA40 is way better than the stuff the bog box stores sell. PERIOD.

And as for it being "thinner".... No it's not.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:55:56 pm by Cardboard_Duck »
>>>---------->

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:22 pm »
Not all epoxies are the same...the five minute varieties are much weaker than the longer setting varieties. I personally prefer Devcon 30 minute set for handle splices, glue correctly I have never had a failure.....But I only use it in NON-BENDING areas, there are better epoxies for bending parts of your bow. :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »
Depends what you are gluing! Epoxys are different, and can be very different. If you want laminations that don't delaminate, or a glued on riser for a board bow that won't lift, use the best quality. Some brands just don't cure hard enough and will cause problems. In their defence they were never designed for the stresses in bows, but more static purposes such as gluing up tabletops, or boatbuilding etc.
I have had a splice start to come apart with 24hr hardware store epoxies, most have  been fine though. Also had a bow delaminate during the first decent bend when floor tillered, with a brand of boat building epoxy. Plenty of riser lifts with standard grade epoxies. There are so many different brands, and formulas, you want one that dries to a rock hard glue line, no rubberyness. Smooth On is reputed to be trouble free, for bow applications of all kinds. I have never used it because in Australia we have Techniglue, which dries rock hard and I have had no troubles with it so far.