Author Topic: Questions about a cherry stave  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Questions about a cherry stave
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:11:10 am »
Hello all.  I am about embark (no pun intended) on making my first cherry bow.  I would like any advice.  Would I need to get rid of all of the sap wood or could I use it for backing? 

Offline autologus

Re: Questions about a cherry stave
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:25:39 am »
I believe you treat it like any other white wood and just use the back of the stave as the back of the bow.  I have no actual experience with cherry so someone with actual knowledge may have a different opinion.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:28 am »
Did I just hear a loud BOOOOOOM!!!!!!   :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D

What kind of cherry is it specifically?  But no matter what it is I'd back it with rawhide at the very least

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:40 am »
Id suggest the rawhide as Chris mentioned and I would also make it at least 68" ntn and say 2" wide for now. Cherry is brittle and needs help to be a bow. Ever notice a little wind blows and cherry trees are on the ground first?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:42:43 am »
Cherry will make a bow, if you can keep it from chrysalling. It requires perfect tillering, and is very intolerant of mistakes.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:45:47 am »
Just under the bark is good.
Have only ever had one cherry bow explode and I deserved it. Silk backing can help no end.
Most of my bows were around 62. One even at 59.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:52:25 am »
Dwardo I think your variety of cherry is different that what we have around here. Your color even appears different than ours. Ours is very brittle and soft, always the first trees to blow over and make a mess it seems.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11:26 pm »
Thanks guys.  If it has to be perfect, I'm in trouble. Grady, so, you've made a few bow with cherry? 

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »
I'll ask again...what kind of cherry is it?  We really need to know to help you best..as there are oodles of different cherries with varying different degrees of bending properties...and yeah...I've played with " cherry"..

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »
Blackhawk, it's a wild black cherry. 

Offline autologus

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:29:52 pm »
I have not, it is very pretty wood and I would like to give it a go.  I have a nice straight black cherry tree in my back yard I have thought about cutting.  I will probably cut it a little later this summer and have a crack  ;) at this winter.  I don't mind breaking bows I have plenty of experience at it.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:05 pm »
Black cherry is very inelastic in tension,and does not bend very far unbacked before unexpectedly snapping in tension without warning due to my bend tests with it....in most cases it is best and wise to at least back cherry with rawhide...then comes design which must be long and wide due to its inelasticity ...and then you must execute this design thru good patient  tillering slowly teaching it how to bend.....my analogy for black cherry is like playing Russian roulette with 2 or 3 rounds in the chamber...if ya get a good piece(empty chamber in the gun)and execute it correctly you can get a nice bow...but look out if there's a bullet in that chamber when ya pull that trigger...but you won't know its in there untill you do pull that trigger.....

I know its sounds like I'm bashing it and trying to steer you clear of it,but I'm not....go ahead and "learn"...and I hope it works out for you......if your new at bow making..which it sounds like it...I'd go long wide and rawhide,and bend in the handle....specific stats will pend on what you want it to pull weight and draw wise...

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:30 pm »
Thanks Blackhawk. Yeah, I'm new.  I have made a few of board bows.  A couple work but I want to make a selfbow and hunt this season.  I have a lot of work ahead of me.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks again.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 03:39:14 pm »
What state are you in Tim?

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »
I am smack dab in the center of Arkansas.