Author Topic: When to debark a stave  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Stefan

When to debark a stave
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:19 pm »
Hi all,

I recently scored a log of maple. (probably Acer pseudoplatanus)

I have split the log into to staves. The log had a large knot, I will likely only be able to make one bow out of it. The log was cut a week or two ago (not by me). Can I debark the stave already so I can see imperfections and draw the lay out on to the stave? Does maple split easily when drying?

I want to rough out the stave as soon as possible so I can induce some reflex when it is still wet (the stave currentley has deflex only, and some twist) Do you prefer/reccomend this method or would you want to let the stave dry (slowly) first and then induce reflex with a heat gun/steam?

Greetings,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline osage outlaw

Re: When to debark a stave
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »
With white woods the best time to debark it is right after you cut the tree down during the growing season.  The bark should slip off easily.  Once it sticks, its a pain to remove.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:24:30 pm »
I'm betting your bark is stuck on now...so removing now or later ain't gonna make a difference...how soon do you wanna make a bow with it? You can do either...remove it now and reduce it down to near bow dimension to dry faster,or later whenever your ready to make a bow with it a year later...up to you? A large knot ya say only giving you one bow? Got pics?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »
Thanks Blackhawk and osage outlaw! I will remove the bark as soon as possible. When it is starting to look like a bow i will upload pics,

greetings Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »
i would say as soon as you get it. i learnt that you need to remove it as soon as possible, then seal it.
London, England.

45#@28"