Author Topic: Questions on coyote quiver..?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Questions on coyote quiver..?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 02:55:41 pm »
I haven't started! I don't intend on splitting it. Im going to do the same thing you did. Build a sleeve. I plan to add an internal stiffener that cant be seen. I used bamboo shaft on a quiver for Pat. It seemed to work nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 03:05:58 pm »
Ok cool.  Will you just sew the strap through the hide around the stiffener?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 03:09:10 pm »
I haven though that far ahead yet. I will probably decide that when I get to that point. I wanted to have it done for the season, but was too busy with other fun stuff to get after it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 03:23:30 pm »
Yeh I made the liner a year ago probably and still havent got around to completing the quiver.  I will post it once Im done.  Thanks again
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »
     You can just turn the hide inside out, and sew a sleeve onto that, by sewing through the skin, or if it is thick enough, through the middle of the skin, without going through the other side, using a curved carpet needle, with fine nylon, or rayon thread.  If you choose to sew through the hide, turn out the the hide, and sleeve, and if any hair was sewn down, just take a needle, and lift them up, and the stitches will be invisible.  If you want to use the head part for a cover, you can trim around the head, and put a loop in the nose, and a antler, or bone button below it, to hold the head down over the arrows, as a cover flap.  You can sew a green, or yellow ball, in each of the eye holes, to give it a live look.  When you turn the hide inside out, you can sew up the tail section, if you want the tail section down, and put in a round, or square bottom piece in it.  If on the other hand, you will use it head down, you can still use the tail, as a cover flap, with a loop sewn on the under side of the tail, and looped around the button, or you can just cut the tail off, and use it for a liner for the top opening, to keep the arrows from rattling.  Depending on how long the tail is and the diameter of your top opening, you line the inside of the opening, at the top, and if there is any left over tail, you can split it, and either hang a strip on each side of the top, or bottom.  Or you can sew it on the bottom, and let it hang down.  You can remove the head, and do the same thing with thread ball eye balls, and sew it on the hide, just above the bottom, or just below the top, or use it for the cover flap, over the top to protect the arrows.  Or, sew it to a pouch, and sew the pouch onto the middle of the quiver, to put in extra strings, flint and steel, small knife, extra arrow head, mojo bag, etc. ::) There are a multitude, Or "Plethora" ;) of options.  You can turn the whole thing inside out, and decorate the inner flesh side, and have the hair on the inside, to help keep the arrows from rattling .  I have a yote, and a fox hide, I have been debating on whether or not to make a hat, or quiver.  When I get back up here in Montana,(I have one more load, and a cat to bring back out here), then I will start making more stuff, and getting back into leather work.  I have a beaver skin, I got from LLoyd Beere, Hunter trapper's Dad, that I want to make into a trappers hat, for the Wife of a Friend of mine.  Well good luck, andtake  lots of pictures!

Wayne
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:22:24 pm by stickbender »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »
Great info Wayne, thank you sir.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

You are Welcome.  Now get busy, and post pictures! ;) ;D 8)

Wayne

Offline RyanR

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »
Pearly, I just responded to another post about a fox quiver. Did you see my red fox quiver at Elm Hall? I didn't make it but it is really nice. I can post some pics for you tomorrow if you want. Maybe we can figure out how they did it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 07:29:53 am »
Ryan I don't remember seeing it? Im sure I did though. Yah, post some pics of it, Id love to see it.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 06:27:50 pm »
Well here you go.  It is case skinned with a round rigid leather tube inside with a flat bottom.  The bottom of the strap comes out of a hole in the hide where his junk was. The leather goes up and is stitched around his mouth area to make his face flat and more visible.  The thing is beautiful. I wish I could say I made it but it was given to me.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:18 pm »
Nice quiver!!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline 4dog

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 03:34:02 pm »
love the tail ..looks all shampooed anf purty!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 04:40:19 pm »
  I've did this a 4 inch tube out of carpet smash it so it's oveled. Fits good into most mature yotes. I turned the skin inside out and glued in the smashed,ovel carpet tube to the inside.
  Looked good enough that I traded it off and got a letter of thank you it looked so good.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43:25 pm »
Not sure how this would work on fur and could use some feedback but I recently glued (hide glue) a piece of light weight leather to the inside of my leather quiver to repair a hole that the arrows wore through.  It worked surprisingly well.  The glue stiffened the leather to form a nice bowl in the bottom and I have not seen any noticeable wear since. 
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!