Author Topic: Type of rocks and known rock hounding rules for Wyoming?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Type of rocks and known rock hounding rules for Wyoming?
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:44:20 am »
I will be going to Wyoming for college and I realize that I wont have much time for bows and the like, however I should have enough time for flintknapping while I'm in my dorm or whatnot and want something to do (after essays and the like are done.) So basically i want to familiarize myself with the different types of rock I will encounter out there, and if you have handy some picture or links to pictures instructing how to identify the rocks that would be great. Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline RickB

Re: Type of rocks and known rock hounding rules for Wyoming?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:49 am »
You should be able to join a local rock club/gem and mineral club while you are out there in Wyoming. They tend to know where all the local rock is and can help out. Rick B

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
I would get on the states website and search for geological maps.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:40:19 pm »
so far I've found out that there is lots of coal and jade there. I know from a friend that there is chert there. Any other known types of rock? obsidian? noviculite? flint?

Offline Dalton Knapper

Book
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »
Here's some stuff I found. I suppose you'll be at Cheyenne. You can always ask the geology dept.

Got this one from a fellow on Paleoplanet - see P117 of the PDF or Page 452 in the text. This should help you a lot: http://www.missourigeologists.org/Min-Loc3-2005.pdf

This book even has maps. You'll have to know what types of rock knap.
http://books.google.com/books?id=CD2c2tpG9C4C&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=wyoming+chert&source=bl&ots=WEiW8d1vaf&sig=-Wh6raMlJfeH6TYVMERMfqiLCr4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fpftUZDRIIbtrQHR2oGYBQ&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=wyoming%20chert&f=false
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:28:36 pm by Dalton Knapper »

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 06:44:13 pm »
Spanish diggings isn't that far and is probably the closest well known lithic source. Farther west there is a lot of Jasper, some chert. Farther north is porcellanite. I don't know what is south of there in Colorado.

The closest obsidian that is legal to pick up is probably in Idaho.

Patrick

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:28 am »
Thanks for the info, it helps me to determine what type of rock i should search for because i think if i just went breaking rocks i may not really know what i wanted.