Author Topic: How wide should self nock tips be?  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

How wide should self nock tips be?
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:29:24 pm »
Or perhaps better worded, how narrow can they be?

I've made a couple bows where the string just kept slipping off (which is really annoying) so I had to add some overlays.

I really want this hickory bow just to have simple self nocks but I also know that narrow/light tips is an easy way to pic up fps and lower hand shock. So what's the ideal width for tips for self nocks?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline JonW

Re: How wide should self nock tips be?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31:22 pm »
Try a wrapped on nock, Easy to do and you can get your tips as thin as you dare.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:46 pm »
Try a wrapped on nock, Easy to do and you can get your tips as thin as you dare.
+1
If they are super de duper narrow, reflexed, and its a high weight bow, they can twist on you. For a longbow, with wrapped nocks, I have successfully pulled 3/8ths in oak, #75 or so at 28"
On a bow I made for my friend's little bro, it has 1/4th wide nocks, wrapped on... and pulls 35#@24.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »
Mine are generally 3/8" and I've seen tips less than 1/4".  With very narrow tips you can put the string groove just on the back(with overlay) and not the sides. If the string groove is a little over haly the diameter of the string the string loop shoulsn't slip out unless the bow is too short.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:24 am »
I start at 3/8 then narrow from there  to just over a 1/4 ,I want the nock groves cut in at least the depth of the string and if all is lined up tip to tip I usually don't have  a problem with them slipping out, if it is twisting when you draw that is making it come out ,you got bigger/other problems. :) once you get passed the groves you can go as narrow as you like it's not doing anything anyway. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good