Author Topic: Quick dry method for Tru Oil?  (Read 12787 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Quick dry method for Tru Oil?
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:05:19 am »
I know there is already a topic on finishes going on, but I did not want to sidetrack 2many's Tung Oil topic with this, so I started a new thread. I have been using multiple layers of shellac and recently tried dipping the bow in polycrylic which did not turn out well "over the shellac". I dip my arrows in the polycrylic with great results, but use no shellac on them. I have some tru oil but have not tried it due to the long drying times. I have read that you can add Armour All to the Tru Oil and put up to 10 coats on in one day. The silicone is supposed to speed up the drying process. Have any of you tried it?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Quick dry method for Tru Oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13:10 am »
On sunny, warm days I can wipe 5-6 coats of tru oil or tung oil on a bow. Leave it in the sun between coats and it will be hard in 60-70 minutes. Providing the humidity is 60-70% and no higher.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:19:15 am »
That beats the heck out of 24 hrs per coat I had read before, PD. Since you have used both, which of the 2 do you prefer, Tung or Tru?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:35 am »
I did 2 bows with the Armour All method.  The finished sucked for me on both.  The True Oil dries instantly and you can recoat 15 minutes later.  Bone dry.  But the finish for me was cloudy.  I thought I might have messed the first one up so I tried it again, same results.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:57 am »
Tung oil. Cant vouch for eithers protection as I don't have a good test method. Both keep my bows happy. I like working with Tung oil more and I like the life it brings to the grain. I start with one coat of shellac, then 4-6 coats of Tung Oil, then a few coats of paste wax. It leaves a velvet smooth surface that isn't shiny as a new penny.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:25 am »
Its amazing how quick tru-oil dries in the right weather. In the wrong weather I have had it take nearly two days between coats.

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:57 am »
OK, dumb question: can tung oil penetrate through shellac to get to the wood or does it just coat over the shellac?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
I've never needed to add anything to speed the dry time of tru oil. It works well and dries fast like PD stated. I steel wool /tack cloth between coats for an ultra fine finish but not necessary.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:21:03 am »
The bow I got from TMK was finished with tung oil. It was very nice, but the finish doesn't protect it from scratches... and scuff marks. TMK said that tung oil cures in about 30 days.... Anyway, here is my question- Is there a good finish that will protect a bow from scratches? I really am not that worried about damaging the wood... but they look horrid... Its a maple-purpleheart-hickory trilam, glued with TB3, so I am not overly worried about moisture delamming everything... I
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:25:44 am »
It all scratches. Take better care of your bows if you can help it.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:26:39 am »
It all scratches. Take better care of your bows if you can help it.
There are two scratches... both from arrowheads... on the back of the bow.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:29 am »
I get arrow head scratches on the belly side, upper limb. Ill bump the bow there while loading an arrow once in a while. Scratches happen. I suppose you get spray a catalyzed sealer on your bows to bombproof them.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:57 am »
Yeah, Slim, I read where one guy had the same cloudy problem, but solved it. I don't remember what he did to fix it, though.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:13 am »
I have used Helmsman Spar Urethane on my last couple. Easy peasy to apply and looks very nice when done.  Love True Oil but can't tell much diffence between the two really.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.