Author Topic: my first molle (iBow) and PINE  (Read 2054 times)

Offline BowSlayer

my first molle (iBow) and PINE
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:50 am »
hey all after going through youtube i decided to make a molgabet style bow. im not sure what wood it is but when i was getting wood for my boat i saw it said hardwood and it wasn't pine so i decided to go for it and see if it would make a bow. when looking at it i thought about doing something creative with the knocks so i thought about the carvings on the front of viking ships and took insperation from them.

when making my boat i had a offcut of pine with very straight grain and no knots. although it was 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick so not much material to work with. i got out my rasp and just rounded the belly and tapered the thickness of the limbs. i then spent about 20-30 mins tillering it, i didn't really bother to much about this bow as i was using it to kill time while the glue was drying on my boat. i kept it as a bendy handle bow the tiller isn't great but it made a bow. here are some specs

Unknown wood molle bow:

length:                     62"
draw weight:            15#@25"
max draw length:     27"

Pine Bow:

lenth:                        60"                 
Draw weight:            19@30"
max draw length       30"

here are some pics , sorry the F/D pics are bad, i had to use the timer.

can you tell what it is?

now presenting the iBow

Pine bow:

a failed attempt at a handle wrap with floppy rest, if the bow stays in one piece i may fix it.

like i said not very good, i didn't time the picture right and this was the 5th attempt

i guess this shows if the only wood you have is pine, it will make a bow but it did take about 4" of set. but it's a bow.

thanks for looking

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

Re: my first molle (iBow) and PINE
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:54:46 am »
Well...young man, your unknown wood is oak.  A good tough wood.  If you have a heat gun, you can temper the belly of that oak and really get the best out of it on your next one.  On your pine bow, most of your bend is in the middle of the bow.  If you had the outer half of limbs working, it would have taken less set and shot better.  All in all, nice job!  I'm glad to see you getting some shooters made.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:11:27 am »
First off...you get an A for effort...

I agree with josh that the molly is oak..if you can find more of that get it for future projects...it bends a bit too much only in the mid limbs...spread out the bend from handle fade to lever fade in an arc of the circle for each limb for that design....and you can reduce thickness and width on the levers by quite a bit...especially since its such low weight....

And +1 josh about the pine...BUT its nice to see you actually trying and that's more important than any of the critiques that were mentioned.....now learn from those and go make another ;)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:11 am »
thanks for the kind words guys, the pine does need to bend more but it's at a point where there is no hand shock. and it was an experiment. i will get more of that oak and make another, better bow. thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:31:07 am »
Give one of those to your girl friend.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:53 pm »
Give one of those to your girl friend.

Yeah maybe.  :laugh:
London, England.