Author Topic: tiny bug holes a problem?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Newindian

tiny bug holes a problem?
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:15:32 am »
There are two of them on the back of an Osage self bow I'm working on and they are so small that it took me forever or actually find them, one is several inches away from a tip the other is mid limb neither are very close to an edge and both are about the size of a slightly dulled pencil pencil lead. My question would be can I just leave them alone. If pic are needed I should be able to get some up tomorrow afternoon.
I like free stuff.

Offline chamookman

Re: tiny bug holes a problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:47:30 am »
I'd flow some super glue in them and continue if it was Me. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:21:47 am »
Nope there not a problem have you seen some of the Osage self bows posted on here with gigantic knot holes that you could fit your arm through? Lol I don't see how a tiny little bug hole is gonna effect anything
I like osage

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:39:21 am »
Interesting to me that it's on Osage.  My Hackberry gets those tiny bug holes, but the Bodark beside it does not.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 12:14:12 pm »
Any break in the continuity of the back ring can be a problem. The back of a bow works in tension(pulling)and even small holes are a violation of the back ring and a splinter can arise from these when the bow is drawn. Super glue may remedy this but only time will tell.
Pics are always a beneficial for us to make a judgement of a problem, even a minute one. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:18:54 pm »
Pat's right.  Those holes are a violation of some of the grain.  There's a big difference between a knothole where the grain flows around the knot and a bug hole that cuts through it.  The other problem is that even though the entry hole is small, some bugs get in there and hollow out channels that get progressively bigger as the bug grows.  This will create some hidden voids that will be a big problem.  Pics would definitely help. Are there exit holes?  I'm not saying you won't get a bow out of it.  But pics would help in guessing the probability of it.  Josh

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:44:44 pm »
Powder post beetle holes, about the size of a pin, look real innocent but are the worst of the worst.

Here is a cross section of a log and what these rascals actually do after they penetrate the surface of wood.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:16:49 pm »
I wouldn't trust any wood with bug holes near the back... kaboom
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 04:10:35 pm »
I tried to make a hickory bow out of a stave that had a few pin holes in the back of the stave, here is the result. You can see the beetle trail in the form of segmented sawdust(bug dodo) in the center of the stave. On close inspection it turned out the visible bug trail was one of many.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 04:28:15 pm »
I'd fill them with super glue and move forward. If it breaks it breaks, and you'll know for sure that the stave was bad. If you burn it, you'll never know what could have been.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »

It can be bad news when a bow blows....ok on a tillering board but in the hand.....
Bug holes = Bad news
The short and safe answer is cut it in half and keep the good half for a future spliced bow.
If you are determined to continue with it I would fill with thin ca and then either do a rawhide patch or a small sinew patch around the area. At least if it does fail you will have some warning because you will see a white line 'appear' under the backing before kaboom.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
First of all I was only able to see the first two replys before I had to go out of internet connection and tiller this bow, which was successful the at my draw length, but this bow isn't intended for me ( but a tip overlay broke on the way back so that needs to be fix before shooting again). they are closer to the edge than I remembered when I made the original post
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 09:21:59 pm »
I would add that there is only one other hole and it is in the side of the handle. I have split other smaller bows out off the same stave and haven't seen any holes in them.
I like free stuff.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 11:45:47 pm »
It doesn't look too deep. Best bet would've been to course sand the hole and surrounding area so you flatten any abrupt transitions, where a tension break gremlin might get at. You could still do it now.
 If you are selling the bow or even giving it I would personally back it with raw hide just for safety, and to save you having to risk hours and materials making a replacment.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 11:57:41 pm »
The bow will be donated to an friends of the NRA auction that our shooting club host. My main problem is that I'm short on backing materials at the time, I'm considering taking thin Osage wood shavings and gluing them over the holes
I like free stuff.