Author Topic: Guess the rock...  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Bugtussle

Guess the rock...
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:53:29 pm »
I picked up these slabs from a rock dealer for $20... I can tell that there is some chert, agate and obsidian but what type and are there other types of rock that I am over looking...  For reference the tiles (linoleum marble  :laugh:) is 8"x4".

Also I think some of the rocks have a protective spell over them, since I have a great fear and anxiety  of knapping some of the prettier ones! ::)
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline Bugtussle

Re: Guess the rock...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:34:21 pm »
No takers, huh?  I had my knapping buddy below take a look and this is what he surmised...

What I mistakenly thought was agate is actually some type of igneous rock although it is very hard it crumbles when struck... But I did manage to get some points done today so it is a good day plus I now have some really cool stone coaster!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:11:41 am by Bugtussle »
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:38:27 pm »
Looks like a fine example of an obsidian point. Mahogany mabe .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:03 am »
Thanks Tower!  That's exactly what it is... It will be one of the twelve for this coming season.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:22:28 am »
Looks like. Some root beer slabs in upper right and then obsidian below that? Break out the Ishi stick and start zigzagging the edges off and it will make a point. Looks like you found one in there already. Good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:56 am »
That's a great picture and nice point
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:55:02 pm »
Looks like. Some root beer slabs in upper right and then obsidian below that? Break out the Ishi stick and start zigzagging the edges off and it will make a point. Looks like you found one in there already. Good luck.

Tracy

Cool!  Thanks Tracy!  A fossil dealer that I deal with occasionally has a couple of boulders of this stuff (about the volume of a basketball)... he wanted to know if I wanted it but my spalling skills are not the greatest so I didn't even ask the price but pointed him to some lithic supply places...

That's a great picture and nice point

Thanks again Iowabow!  Yep!  He is a great dog... wouldn't  know what to do without him...