Author Topic: Sharing the pain.  (Read 1285 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Sharing the pain.
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:15:43 am »
Sweet Osage recurve (that's right, genuine PNW Osage), 57 ntn, stiff handle, static tips, with some snakey goodness. Had the bow bending well, tillered out to 60# @28.  Strung it, and noticed that there is a minor delamination along a growth ring on the belly side of the fade. Now, I never bent this thing backwards (last time I checked). So I'm thinking my step through method must be to blame? I don't know, but I got some serious hours into this bow and I'm having to take some deep breathes. Just though I'd share with some like minded folks.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline DuBois

Re: Sharing the pain.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:24:30 am »
That's a bummer. Can you fill it with cyano or something?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:42:39 am »
I don't know sounds fixable Maybe but I've never delt with that
I like osage

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:47:08 am »
Fill it with CA glue and see if it holds, you can always do that then tiller it out to be a bit lighter.  I had a delamination in the bow I'm building for the trade and I filled it with CA glue and its holding great, it was just outside the fade in one limb about a 1.5 inch crack.  You can see the glue line but its holding well.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:35:44 am »
Did you heat straighten or put in a slight reflex? I have had that kind of thing occur at the fades when heat bending, due to a thick handle with a sharp decrease at the dips, but they usually get removed during the tillering process.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:45:27 am »
I feel yo pain Gabe. I'm on a hot streak now with breaking bows while close to finished, 3 in the past 7 weeks. :(
Hope your able to save yours, kinda stinks when your onto a good one and have put alot of time into carefully crafting it only to have it break.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:24:16 am »
I had the same thing happen on an Osage molly I built end of last year.  Delam in one of the lever fades.  Mine was caused by heat bending I'm sure.  I too thought it was game over, but I glued with CA glue and kept going.  Lots and lots of arrows thru that bad boy since and it is no worse than when I first spotted it before I ever had it braced.  It worried the crap out of me for a good while.  I have now almost forgotten it's there.  Hope you have similar luck!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:32 pm »
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions fellas.  I played the super glue game.  I will post some picks of the finished project in a bit. The crack (its hardly a crack, almost like a chrysel or something) is on one of the round rings in the fade. Its a non-bending (or hardly bending) portion of the limb, and so it was pretty confused to see it show up.   Anyway I'll start another thread with pics of the bow soon.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »
I know what you mean Gabe. I had two days in a nice little shorty and had it crack across the back. I have experienced Black Locust delam like that a couple times. I attributed it to the early wood being a little too thick. Not saying that was the case for you, but I've seen it twice with wood from the same tree.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:15 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing it!  Josh