Author Topic: Hand Shock  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Flatlander

Hand Shock
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:25:04 am »
Hey Guys,

I recently made two bamboo backed ipi bows,straight limb, identical measurements, one at 46 @ 28 64" long, the other 50@28. The 46lb has no noticeable hand shock but the 50lb has some hand shock. The only difference is the quarter inch positive tiller on the 46lb, and the 50lb is an eighth of an inch positive tiller. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me fix this minor problem? Thanks
Flatlander.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hand Shock
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:31 am »
Post pics of both, braced, unbraced, back profile and full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:53:01 am »
What weight arrow?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:05:36 am »
What kind of string are you using?

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:09:49 am »
Handshock is almost always something to do with the timing of the limbs eg. the speed at which they return to brace. If one is quicker then you will notice it. People go on about the tips of a bow being heavy as a cause of handshock but as long as your tips /outerlimbs aren't excessive then this is highly unlikely.
Have a really close look at the tiller, first is there any set concentrated in one spot on one of the limbs? If so correct it. However I personally would be looking at the amount of positive tiller. An 80 grit piece of sandpaper is good at correcting this sort of thing.
Even with very light arrows a perfectly tillered bow will just become a little noisier. Heavy arrows will hide handshock to a degree but it's a better thing to get rid off it rather than try to hide it. Using a very light string will simply up the noise level not give you handshock.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:22:16 am »
Handshock is almost always something to do with the timing of the limbs eg. the speed at which they return to brace. If one is quicker then you will notice it. People go on about the tips of a bow being heavy as a cause of handshock but as long as your tips /outerlimbs aren't excessive then this is highly unlikely.
Have a really close look at the tiller, first is there any set concentrated in one spot on one of the limbs? If so correct it. However I personally would be looking at the amount of positive tiller. An 80 grit piece of sandpaper is good at correcting this sort of thing.
Even with very light arrows a perfectly tillered bow will just become a little noisier. Heavy arrows will hide handshock to a degree but it's a better thing to get rid off it rather than try to hide it. Using a very light string will simply up the noise level not give you handshock.
   Right on!   It's a timing  thing. That 1/8" can make all the difference.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 06:28:00 am »
Amen Mikekeswick +2
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Holten101

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:16 am »
Once again I agree with Mike!

Timing is the main cause of handshock....it can be hell to cure tho, especially on snakey and knotty staves:-(

That being said...I experience a lessing of handschok when I use FF strings and when I use heavy arrows....but timing is no. 1.

Cheers

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:34:23 am »
He said he had 'some' handshock and that its a minor problem.  He could live with it as is and be just fine but if he happens to be shooting a light arrow and didn't happen to think about it then shooting a proper arrow just might solve his problem.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 12:21:27 pm »
Yes you're right it's timing so even if the tillers perfect but one of the tips weighs just alittle more than the other then your gonna feel hand shock Because its gonna take just a hair longer for the heavier tip to snap back So keep that in mind too
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 05:21:21 pm »
if it's just a little bit, put some string silencers on that will take it out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:51:07 pm »
Why do we avoid tillering/timing bows properly? It's no harder to do it that way... in fact, considering the work involved in trying to mask the plethora of possible negative effects on the bow, the arrow, and the archer due to timing discrepencies, it's actually much easier to address the root cause from the get-go.

It's refreshing to see so many giving limb syncronization the importance it ultimately commands.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Flatlander

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 12:52:10 am »
 gentlemen thanks for the great response.  it was a timing problem .pealed alittle off the top limb a little from the tips and wa la  shoots  nice and soft  now the 50 pounder is 48 but shooting nice . thank you  bowyers!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:50 am »
WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

What a refreshing thread.

I cant tell you how many times ive had the same thoughts and opinions  regarding "Handshock.It seems most wanna disguise it and make excuses for it,rather than fix the problem.

Offline Flatlander

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:27:00 pm »
oh boy   ... after i fooled with the top limb put it on the tree and auhooo  the top limb is pulling further than the bottom.so any ways i think after fiddling allday with both bows  i think i have them pretty good now  .one is 45 pound,right hand  and the other is 47,left hand.  i will get my wife to post some pics very soon    ..thanks