Author Topic: Heat treating chert with fire, (another thought)  (Read 42767 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Heat treating chert with fire, (videos added)
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:50 pm »
Man....that stuff looks nice!  I believe the thanks goes the other way though John.  Not just because I'm gonna get some new material to work, but because of your detailed data posting throughout the process.  I now have an idea of where to start on treating some of the tough stone I have laying around.  Thank you very much!  Josh

Offline Tower

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »
Great post! I'm a believer in pit cooking.  I loved cooking rocks Abo style. Living in town has busted me down to 2 turkey roasters. Well done Sir.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2013, 08:42:05 pm »
Great post.
Thanks much for the information posted. This will be used by me ;)

Stringman

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2013, 01:14:32 am »
Good post, John. Just got a chance to read the whole thing. Well done!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2013, 01:21:04 am »
Awesome thread!   8) 
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

Re: Heat treating chert with fire, (completed)
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:56 am »
Thanks guys for the comments! I am going to make a couple points and on this thread so stay tuned for an update in the near future.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline StevenT

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2013, 10:43:28 am »
Followed the progress all the way through. Gooood stuff!  How about adding a couple pics of the finished products. Thanks.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2013, 06:04:18 pm »
My dial-up went out on Saturday morning.  >:( Got to my high speed spot and got to read thru 4 pages!  Good stuff John. I'll try me a JW pit next time I cook some stone. Can't wait to see the next firings results too. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2013, 09:22:02 pm »
I think I sometimes think too much but if you know me then you know it's what I enjoy doing.

So here goes the thinking...an old knapper returns to his heat treating pit where he has set up camp for the next few days to heat treat chert. He has fond memories of his grandfather letting him start the fire as his father arranges bifaces by size that will be going into the fire.  His brother older in years continues knocking out bifaces that will be included in the firing this time. It is mid summer on a hill top and the grass has not browned yet due to the drier days of summer.
His day dream is interupted as his sons are returning to camp with the last of the sand and wood that will be used for their fire this time and for the first time he will be passing on his knowledge to others that will join in on this opportunity. He runs the event now after his father pasted during the winter.
The week has been filled with heavy lifting but made easier because the camp is located close to a quarry of fine chert located in the valley. With all of the materials assembled he prepares the pit that is raised from deposits of sand and flakes of chert  and charcoal from generations of knappers.

My point is that the mound of sand and ash would amount to a pit that would be above grade and constucted partly from sand. This sandy ground would drain quickly and dry fast.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:32:56 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

Re: Heat treating chert with fire, (another thought)
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »
I wrote the story below because Rick B got me to think about how my pit is going to fill with water when it rains. Hmmmm I need to do more firings. Deep pits below grade and repeated use do not make sense together.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »
Well John I really enjoyed going through this one! I always intended to do a story on cooking rock in the ground just never got one of those round tuits :). Been a long while since I've done that. You've got me wanting to get home and fire it up. The temps are very interesting.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »
Yes please do it again and come back to this post and list the data. My temps were hard to believe but I am going to do it again and see if it is repeatable.

If any one else want to record data on this post please do so because the search tool on the is site is not good. It will create a bank of knowledge for others wanting to try this.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2013, 03:38:13 am »
I managed to swing by John's place today for a short visit.  He hooked me up with some spalls from this batch.  I couldn't resist trying it out.  Man! Is this nice stone! I'm lovin this stuff!  Thanks John!  Josh

Stringman

« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2013, 09:26:50 am »
Nice work Josh! Looks like he got the right cook on it for sure.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:49 am »

Great job!  Thanks!  Now the next time, put in a cut up hog, wrapped in foil, with onions, and garlic, and carrots, and some mojo  sauce.   Mmmmmmm, rockin hog!

Wayne