Author Topic: Cane  (Read 5750 times)

Offline ncpat

Cane
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »
I just gathered a few cane stalks that the DOT mowed down along a roadway. I see that often, the sections between nodes have a flat side & they often are opposites of the next section. About a 30 inch shaft may have 3 sections. Flats may run left, right, left again. Are these still worth trying to make arrows from? If not, I can use them for other stuff. I hadn't noticed that before. 
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »
If the diameter is right for arrows and the canes are at least 2 years old they will make arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »
Post pics, there are many types of cane... Not all are arrow material
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:00:02 pm »
If one side is flat between nodes it is most likely a type of bamboo.  Cane will be almost completely round except for a small area where branches grow.  The flats have no bearing on whether it will make an arrow as long as the walls are thick enough and the arrow has enough spine.  Like pat said if its two yr old should be good.  If its 1 yr old shafts will be really flimsy (i.e. not enough spine)
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »
Spine doesn't really matter off of a centershot bow ;)
Anyway, just sand down your nodes after straightening and you should be good to go. I know exactly what you are talking about- it has a short little spiky branch growing out, then until the next node it is flat or even concave!  its OK if its flat or concave- but if it REALLY bothers you you can sand down it to round after straightening(but its much weaker in both spine and strength, 'cane gets weaker as it gets closer to the center, only 1/8th inch thick walls or thinner, much of my stuff is from 1/12 to 1/20)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:15 pm »
River cane(Arundaneria gigantia) has a pronounced sulcus(the indentation above a node). It like hill care are native to the US as is switch cane (A. tecta). All make good arrows with river cane being the less desirable. River cane grows to 12" to 15" tall. Hill and switch cane both grow to about 6" or so. There are lots of Asiatic imports all around the Southeast and elsewhere. If you can get a piece old enough, long enough and the right diameter it will make an arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:50 am »
Squirrelslinger you say spine doesnt matter for cane?   Have you ever made an arrow from 1st year growth and shot it.  The correct way to describe the characteristics of cane/bamboo is to say a much wider range of spine will shoot well from a bow compared to a shoot shaft which will have a shorter range of spine that will shoot well from the same bow.  Im tired of you and Bowslayer chiming in on every post as if you all have done everything.  Listen/read more and talk less
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:22 am »
+1  :) C K
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 03:47:29 pm »
CKC, +2 and Thank You!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 08:29:46 am »
Easy on the fighting, please. We are all here to learn, share & opine.

Trying to post a pic, having major trouble. I am a dinosaur with computer files. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:48:58 am by ncpat »

Offline ncpat

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:31:58 am »
Best pic I can post so far.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »
Squirrelslinger you say spine doesnt matter for cane?   Have you ever made an arrow from 1st year growth and shot it.  The correct way to describe the characteristics of cane/bamboo is to say a much wider range of spine will shoot well from a bow compared to a shoot shaft which will have a shorter range of spine that will shoot well from the same bow.  Im tired of you and Bowslayer chiming in on every post as if you all have done everything.  Listen/read more and talk less
A range of spine from #25 to #125 has shot fine from my centershot fiberglass bow. #50@28. I have the privilege of knowing what the arrows we are talking about will be shot from ;)  I have used first yr cane for many kid arrows and many arrows for my recurve.
it isn't as durable, but a 3/8" will shoot fine if seasoned. a 2 yr shoot is harder, stronger, and denser than 1 yr material.
thanks for the pic.
Within reason, spine doesn't matter with cane and a #40-50 centershot recurve.
(for the matter, I don't spine my cane arrows for 2 reasons- they shoot fine, and it requires effort)
I have had my recurve for several years now and I have made several hundred arrows for it, mostly shoots, but with some dowels and hand-made shafts in the mix.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 03:20:20 pm »
...A range of spine from #25 to #125 has shot fine from my centershot fiberglass bow. #50@28. I have the privilege of knowing what the arrows we are talking about will be shot from Within reason, spine doesn't matter with cane and a #40-50 centershot recurve.
(for the matter, I don't spine my cane arrows for 2 reasons- they shoot fine, and it requires effort)
I have had my recurve for several years now and I have made several hundred arrows for it, mostly shoots, but with some dowels and hand-made shafts in the mix.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the OP is shooting a self bow, not a center shot fiberglass recurve.  So he actually has to worry about paradox.

They do not shoot fine, they waste some of that 50# draw weight wiggling like a wet noodle.

I give up on explaining the dangers of shooting too low a spine.

When you have to dig fiberglass, cane or wood splinters out of your bow hand because you insisted on shooting arrows rated for half the draw weight you shoot, you will have a more intimate understanding of the theory than I could possible convey through words.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 06:54:47 pm »
SS you are great at taking other people's threads, did you know that?

Ncpat, let that stuff dry and make some kick-butt arrows, I'm exited to see what you do
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »
Best pic I can post so far.
Sorry for feeding the troll bro. Those will make some good arrows. You know how they should shoot  8)
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018