Author Topic: Wet wood?  (Read 1501 times)

owlbait

Wet wood?
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
Hi guys, I've been working on a sassafras longbow, kind of ELB style. I have it nearly to shape. The wood "was" dry. It got hosed down during a carwash with my 4 year old grandson. Do I need to take any precautions at this point or just let it sun dry and move forward? Thanks for your help.
Mike  owlbait

Offline bushboy

Re: Wet wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:27:21 pm »
It happen to me when my wood got rained and I put it in direct sun!bad idea as the wood warped to heck.I would put it somewhere dry ,good air movement and out of direct sun.should be good in a couple days to be safe.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

owlbait

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:30:13 pm »
Thanks. I just moved it to my wood rack. Good thing too, its about to pour here!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:44 pm »
If it was already dry before it got hosed down then it will not take long to dry back out maybe a day or two
I like osage

owlbait

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:28 pm »
Thanks Joe. Guess I can go back to working on my osage.... ::)

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:45:53 pm »
Do NOT dry it in direct sunlight!! The core moisture content won't change much after an exterior sprinkle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:57:38 pm »
I agree with adb. A little surface water won't hurt anything. Just wipe it off with a towel and put it back it the rack. It is relative humidity that affects wood. As the wood breaths it takes on moisture during high humidity times and releases moisture as the R/H lowers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:31:54 am »
I carried a stave of osage in the back of my pickup once to the TC and it got three to four inches of rain on it.Next day I made a bow from it,but I would not reccommend doing that with a white wood.You could take it inside and keep weighing it to see when it quits losing weight to be sure,but I don't think it would be very long.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

owlbait

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:19:12 pm »
Thanks guys. Humidity is down today with a nice breeze. Plenty of ventilation on my wood rack so I'll let it sit for the rest of the week and take a look at it. Thanks for the advise on weighing it!
Mike  owlbait