Author Topic: Hair drier or heat gun?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Calil

Hair drier or heat gun?
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:25:02 am »
Hello friends

My name  is Wilson, I'm from Brazil. I am a beginner is this area, so I have some silly doubts like the one in the title. Which would be better for curving limbs? hair drier or a heat gun?

Also I'm thinking in doing a full ipe bow, without backing it, do you guys think it's possible? if not, could I leave the sapwood as backing?

thank you! sorry for my bad english! best regards!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:28:15 am by Calil »

Offline TRACY

Re: Hair drier or heat gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:07 am »
Welcome Wilson!

If you can get a heat gun, that would be a better choice.

As for ipe in stave form, I don't have any experience with it and can't help there. I'm sure someone here has experience and advice to help you out.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Holten101

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:08:07 am »
Hard, dense tropical woods are usually next to impossible to bend, even with steam. I have never tried bending Ipe thought, so it could be an exception. I would go for a straight stave design, especially if you are a beginner as you say.

And welcome:-)

Cheers

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:55:11 am »
A hair dryer would be useless. It doesnt genertae the heat needed to move wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 02:41:43 pm »
If you have neither you could also heat the limb over some hot coals. That works for me.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:36 pm »
If you wanna bend Ipe, consider a kerf cut.  See an this awesome bow by Justin Snyder:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7923.msg111182.html#msg111182

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:13:21 pm »
I remember that bow Justin posted back in '08.
 I was going to suggest kerfing instead of using heat to bend the curves. Tropical woods are difficult at best to bend with heat if they will bend at all.
 If you are working with a stave you might not have to remove the sapwood. I'd try to build a bow using the sapwood first. Ipe sapwood might work just fine by itself. If not, chase a ring of heartwood and use that as the back of your bow.
  If you haven't built a bow before I'd suggest you do as Horten suggests and build a straight limb bow first to learn tillering then experiment from there but without tillering knowledge and experience you will just frustrate yourself.
 Oh yeah, Welcome to PA, Wilson. Glad to have you join us from Brazil
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC