Author Topic: Bark-tan help  (Read 6465 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Bark-tan help
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:23:30 am »
Well I decided to try my hand at bark tanning with a piece of deer hide that I had in my shed. I used hickory bark and I've had it sitting in the bark solution for a week now and I stir it 2-3 times a day. And it seem to be changing color on the flesh side really well but the grain side looks virtually the same as it did before I started. Oh and do I leave the bark in the whole time or take it out at some point?
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bark-tan help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:39 pm »
I'm not sure how much tannin hickory bark has as far as tanning. Typically oak bark was used. I also don't know the porocess.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »
Yea I know that oak was traditionally used but there are a lot of freshly down hickory trees and I wanted to try the bark from them to see if it would work. I wanna try sumac as well to see the color difference and tanning time. I will also be trying white oak and red oak and black walnut. I'm not sure what other trees or plants are a good source of tannins other than the ones mentioned.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
I would like to know how this turns out. Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
Are you trying to tan the leather or stain/dye it? They are two totally different things.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:57 am »
I'm trying to tan it and all the woods I've mentioned I've read read that they have tannin I'm them

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:17:41 am »
Here some pictures of what it looks like so far. Its taken on a tan volatile on the fleash side and looks like the grain side is starting to take on a lighter tan color. Tell me what you think . Oh the flesh side looks a bit dirty but its just from the bark and ill clean it off when its done its been in the solution for over a week. Ill leave it in for about another 4 or 5 days.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:19:28 am »
Here the grain side.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:40:39 am »
Not sure on bark tanning but brain tanning you need to do more than stir it,you have to take it out several times and ring it,as you ring it ,it will force the brain solution through the hide. You can see it bubbling on the opposite side of the hide and then you know you are doing some good and getting all the way through the skin. Like I said not sure on bark tanning,with brains and doing it like this it only takes a few hours not days to saturate the skin.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »
I haven't done any brain tanning before but I really want to. I've tried looking for local butchers but the closest one is an hour away and I don't think its worth the drive to just pick up some cow or pig brains. Maybe ill get to try it this deer season if I can find a place to hint this year. I lost my usual place when the land owner sold the property. So I been on the hunt for new land.

Offline hoot n shoot

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 11:40:05 am »
this is hoot n shoots prettier half here,
i have done quite a bit of bark tan
hickory is not on my list of high tannin content but that is not to say it would not work, trust your nose and taste the solution (w/o hide in it!) it should taste VERY astringent, leave your mouth feeling dry and puckery- oak,willow spruce,alder bark and sumac leaves are some other sources. walnut will not tan just great for dying.
as for your questions, i always leave the bark in and add fresh brew frequently for the first 10 days- for example-
hide in- stir several times at least every day for first few days
day three strengthen- stir 2-3 times
day 5 check solution- smells ok? and when hand is submerged cannot see my fingers 3-4" below surface? if no then strengthen
day 7 or 8 check again- the rate of absorbing has probably considerably slowed and my stirring is less frequent now - i may take it out and remembrane as you have done- more you stir the faster this will all happen.
depending on hide, temperature and the tannin content of your solution it will take a minimum of 2 weeks (that is absolute best case)- usually 3-5 is typical - a monster buck may take longer.

seems like your hide was DRY ("in your shed?") before going into the solution. may be fine for experimentation purposes BUT- i have tried several dried then bark tanned hides with not so great outcomes- the grain layer shrinks down tight and you must work the dickens out of it wet BEFORE putting it into any solution to prevent cracking of the grain. I say it is like trying to reconstitute a dried apple slice and getting to feel like a fresh apple- cells have collapsed before inserting the tannin.

hope this helps

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 02:32:21 pm »
Thanks that was very informative and helpful. Yea the hide was part of a larger piece of raw hide I store in a container in my shed that I use for various rawhide projects. But it is an experiment so its a great learning experience.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »
hoot n shoot's prettier half is dead right.Now I'm wondering too whether you have taken the epidermis membrane off off your hide on the hair side.I'm sure quicker penetration would happen if that were off too.You can get those PH level testing strips from a swimming pool supplier to test your PH.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:13 pm »
Looks like you are trying to use local tanning agents, but look at Van Dykes Taxidermy and look at the Quebracho tanning. It comes from a plant or bark from another area but it is a vegetable tanning agent that is natural and full of tannin. It is just as good as oak, hemlock or sumac tanning. You can leave a hide in vegetable tans for a long time. Old timers would leave cow hides in bark tans for months at a time. Good info in the Fox Fire books on bark tanning the old ways. The picture you posted looks like the fleshy side of the hide still has membrane or flesh still on it. The hair side or grain side does not need to be removed for bark tanning, it will produce a thicker stronger hide. Brain tanning it must be removed. Also, if you want to speed the bark tanning you can purchase a pickling crystals that dissolve the fatty substance in the hides pores and speed tanning.
I have done a good bit of brain and bark tanning and it is rewarding to make gear, clothes and stuff. Also for bark tanning you will need a good oil to help soften the hide unless you want it stiff. Brain oils soften brain tanned hides.....Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 02:47:23 am »
I saw cow brains in Meijers grocery store the other day.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw