Author Topic: Committing Heresy (AKA: PVC bows)  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Shiloh

Committing Heresy (AKA: PVC bows)
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:22 pm »
When I get a little time off from work I'm going to start messing around with PVC bows, and was wondering if you guys had anything that might be to try besides the usual recurve style. I saw a few pics of some ancient Egyptian bows and thought they looked pretty cool.

Any ideas? I'll post pics once I've got one going.
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Committing Heresy (AKA: PVC bows)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »
I think the site your looking for primitive plumber, this is primitive Archer lol  >:D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:20:53 pm »
I think the site your looking for primitive plumber, this is primitive Archer lol  >:D

Lol

Ive seen a few PVC bows but I'll stick to wood my self
I like osage

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:37:31 am »
Some where deep I youtube I saw a pretty unique double bow
I like free stuff.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:56:41 am »
Natural materials only in this section Shiloh. The campfire has a bunch of plastic bow threads to search. Ive seen a few the last month.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:04 pm »
Look up backyard bowyer on youtube. That guy makes all kind of bows. Most of his stuff is PVC. I think you will get a lot more info on this subject from him than with these guys. I bet you could make a mollie style bow if you want something different but still in the same style as primitive. I made a 60# bow with flipped tips a little while back.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
Oops, sorry about that Pearl Drums! Any mod, feel free to move this one. Mah bad.  :-[
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »
I made a few. As soon as you start to get any length to them they lose speed. Need to keep them short, hence the re-curve.

+1 on Backyard boyer on YouTube

Keith

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »
Yeah I have made a few as well, but I much prefer working with wood. They are super quick to make and perform O.K. Tillering/heating out any weak spots is a nighhtmare though. 

+1 Backyard bowyer
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »
I've dabbled with PVC. it made a good kids molle bow but I made a even better one from wood in the same time. +10 on the back yard bowyer
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:31:01 am »
Re: Custom bow for my girlfriend? 

lmost every bow i make breaks, so i wouldn't feel happy putting one of my bows in her hand. hence my handle "bow-slayer"

Your lying again squirt............. >:(
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:26:20 pm »

lmost every bow i make breaks, so i wouldn't feel happy putting one of my bows in her hand. hence my handle "bow-slayer"

Yes but that bow has also broken.  But preformed much better than the pvc one before it broke.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 04:45:26 pm »

;D ;D ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »
my thoughts on pvc is this. It makes an excellent bow to use while you are working though wood bows trying to get a nice one they are still very capable bows but not nearly as nice as the wooden ones. another thing to note would be that they are waterproof, so basically its good for bowfishing. the last pointer is this, sun can and WILL ruin your bow, dont keep it outside and just forget about it for a hour in the sun.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:31 am »
Look up backyard bowyer on youtube. That guy makes all kind of bows. Most of his stuff is PVC. I think you will get a lot more info on this subject from him than with these guys. I bet you could make a mollie style bow if you want something different but still in the same style as primitive. I made a 60# bow with flipped tips a little while back.

I have seen some pretty sweet PVC bows in person and online.
they shoot good, but IMO pVC gets brittle over time(I have some that is OLD, as in 1990's, that has been exposed to sunlight)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"