Author Topic: Red Oak Board Molly Curve  (Read 14958 times)

Offline danny f

Re: Red Oak Board Molly Curve
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 05:04:02 am »
that is a beautiful bow, you can send it my way if you want :). well done.

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 07:41:26 am »
Lol guys... :laugh:  my ribs are getting sore from all the poking  ;D

Twisted hickory...read my reply to danzn bar in the post right before yours...as far as thickness goes each one is different...with everything other than yew I'll start my lever dimensions at ~3/4"x3/4" until I've tillered it out and ready to start shooting...then I'll know just how much of the thickness I can reduce,and will have a lil fudge room for any minor string tracking adjustments...its trial n error reducing them down until they're at there limits(which I always do)..;)

Dan..it takes about half the time to whip out a board bow versus a chased ring stave,and even less with a real gnarly piece of wood....boards are a cake walk...snap some straight lines n cut it out,which is easy when all sides are square to each other

And thanks again to everyone for the "REAL" comments ;D .... OK...and the jokes too..they make me laugh  :laugh:

Offline Josh B

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:51 am »
Nicely done Chris!  I was wondering when you were gonna quit sandbagging and show that badboy off.  As far as I'm concerned, there's no shame in making board bows.  Especially not that one!  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:11 am »
What a waste..........that chunk would have fit perfectly behind my couch where Im missing a piece.......you shoulda' said you needed some bow wood, you know full well I would have sent a stick to you.

Sweet trim board bow though!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 10:29:05 am »
That's a beauty no matter what kind of wood or the state that the wood was in before it was a bow.  It's a bow now and some trees were just meant to be bows.  Sorry about the bruised pride with the trim piece >:D

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:11 am »
Not quite as much romanticism behind a board but that one still looks dang good! Those are definitely some of the most narrow tips I've seen on a board bow and the tiller is spot on.

Great job man!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline bushboy

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 11:55:32 am »
That a beaut,super skinny levers,and flexing at full draw!wow!I like how you push the design envelope on all your bows!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Rafael

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
I like this bow ! Great work! Your bow is akin to ancient Kitan horbow from central Asia

Offline Will H

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 12:01:11 pm »
Nice one Chris!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline raghorns

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »
I can just imagine all the lines of guys fighting over the straight grain boards at the red oak sections in the Home Improvement stores.

Great work, Chris!

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline autologus

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 12:33:28 pm »
Looks great, and at 57# should be quite powerful.  That would be a chore for me to shoot.

Grady

Edit for misspelling my name. lol. :laugh:
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 01:43:40 pm »
Man, I head out west for a week and look what I come home too--another awesome Blackhawk bow.  ;)

Chris, I understand your dilemma.  When I was building a red oak board bow for that trade, I kept cussing it saying I'd never build another one.  Then I started shooting it in.  I was pretty darn sweet.  So, I still check out the red oak boards every time I'm in home improvement store.

Nicely done, my friend.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 02:27:56 pm »
I won't lie; I've never been a fan of the molly bows. For some reason they always just looked...off, at least to me.

This one suddenly makes me want to build a molly.  ;D Great job!
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35:31 pm »
Did i mention that that bow looks to be made of trash wood?
better send it to me for proper disposal.  ;)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

blackhawk

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:16 pm »
Thanks josh...yeah...took me long enough to post this one and I knew you were waiting to see it all finished up and walking down the runway ;)

Hey pearly...I'm all outta wood...can ya send me stick please?... how bout that piece of yes ya got from Marty ;)  ;D

No bruised pride here Idaho Matt ;)

Dave..I hate to say it but I do the same anytime I'm in one of those stores...maybe one in ten times I'll find a board suitable...I'm reeeeeal picky about my choice in boards..not only do they have to have straight grain,but they need to be big ringed dense wood...I've noticed a difference between the two..seems like the thin ringed red oak boards are more brittle and inferior...

Shiloh I hope this does inspire ya to build a molly :D

Nice try muffin...but i think I'm keeping this one....for now

And thanks to everyone else for commenting..I do appreciate  it ;D