Author Topic: Does heat treating raise draw weight?  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: Does heat treating raise draw weight?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »
Squirrelslinger- raising the brace height is not gonna raise the draw weight
I like osage

Offline okie64

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:37 pm »
I agree with a lot of what has already been said. If you clamp it to a flat board and heat treat it will likely only gain 5 pounds or so and that will be what you want if you dont have to do any extra tillering. More reflex heated in will equal more draw, 2 inches will probably raise the weight around 10 pounds or so. When I build a hickory bow I almost always heat treat them just because I live in a pretty humid area and I think it helps with moisture resistance, hickory is like a wet noodle when it gets moisture in it.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 09:45:10 pm »
I have treated 8 of the bows i have made and usually at least 10 lbs of weight gain and in one case I got 15 on a peice of hickory. If done correctly you will like the results. Hickory in my experience really likes a good brown toasting.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:28:13 pm »
Also, 4 hours of heat treating isn't the most exciting way to spend a day. I just did one of mine, and I highly recommend finding yourself a couple of decent 2 hour movies to watch while doing your heat treating. It's a lot like watching paint dry.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:43:44 am »
I kind of compromised between doing nothing and really heat treating it. So I just heat treated it lightly (its kind of a beige color) and induced a little reflex in the lower limb which was a little lighter than it should be.
I just set my Ipod to country and started. Definitely not the most interesting element of bow making.  ;)

Looks pretty good as far as uniformity goes but I'll see how it really worked in a day or two when I can start drawing it again. Pictures will be up in a week or so.

Thanks!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline autologus

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 12:59:14 pm »
I need to build a contraption to hold the heat gun for me, my arms get tired holding it steady for a long time.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 04:24:38 am »
Brace it higher? Take 1/2 inch off of each tip?
Maybe heat treating will help, maybe not. I do know that when I heat treated an super-shortie elm bow it acted weak in tension... but I kinda literally burnt the wood. Black char spots, and actually caught one tip on fire.

Why do you think that raising the brace height will raise the draw weight? Self bows should always be shot with the lowest brace height that gives good arrow flight anyway. Raising brace height will actually slow the arrow down due to a shorter 'power stroke'?????
Cutting a half inch off each tip is going to make so little difference that it is pointless.
Elm is never weak in tension however if you treat it like firewood maybe it won't make the best bow!! ;)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:40:38 am by mikekeswick »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:24 am »

Elm is never weak in tension however if you treat it like firewood maybe it won't make the best bow!! ;)
[/quote]

pretty amazing in tension  :o

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 03:42:31 am »
Dwardo - that tiller is amazing! High brace height tho.......

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:00 am »
Dwardo - that tiller is amazing! High brace height tho.......

Is this not how you string a bow???  >:D
Amazing stuff this elm, even after all this abuse it still comes back to only a few inches of follow.
Ofcourse there is no tension at all when you brace it and the arrow barely leaves the bow but its just amazing how much abuse this takes without breaking.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 08:59:45 am »
That would be called the STEP ON method. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 09:47:04 am »
That would be called the STEP ON method. :) :) :)
   Pappy

;D ;D very good.
 Would be a great wind up for a bow maker. I received your bow thankyou, however i am struggling to get it strung and now it has fractures all over the limb??? (picture of me trying to string it attached)
Can I have a new one please this one must be faulty.