Author Topic: ERC with character (and a helmet) Done!  (Read 20708 times)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: ERC with character (and a helmet) Done!
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »
Beautiful bow Dubois, tiller looks spot on
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »
That looks sweet. I am starting my first attempt at ERC tonight. Doubt it will look as cool as yours but thanks for the inspiration!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2013, 09:26:43 am »
That came out sweet!  As you now know, it takes a lot of erc to make a bow unlike Osage.  Josh

Offline autologus

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »
Approximately how thick are your limbs, I have a ERC stave 2" wide and 60" long with NO knots on the back and with a slight gull wing shape.  The stave is about 1.75" to 2" thick and I do not want to come in light.  This will make an awesome bow if I don't screw it up.  As soon as I get the cherry bark on my trade bow and get it finished up I am going to start on this one.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:51 am »
Thanks Osborn and knapper. It was a little tricky to tiller  :)
That looks sweet. I am starting my first attempt at ERC tonight. Doubt it will look as cool as yours but thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks paoli, good luck with your bow and keep us posted ;)
That came out sweet!  As you now know, it takes a lot of erc to make a bow unlike Osage.  Josh
Thanks Josh, yeah, that is one lesson I will hopefully take with me and remember from this one to the next.
Approximately how thick are your limbs, I have a ERC stave 2" wide and 60" long with NO knots on the back and with a slight gull wing shape.  The stave is about 1.75" to 2" thick and I do not want to come in light.  This will make an awesome bow if I don't screw it up.  As soon as I get the cherry bark on my trade bow and get it finished up I am going to start on this one.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Grady
Hey Grady, the limbs are 7/8 at the fades tapering to 3/8 before the stiff part of the tips and tips are 1/2 x 1/2. 1 7/8 wide down to 3/4 wide before tips. BUT, there are layers of sinew so wood is a little less than these dimensions. I think if this was just the wood before sinew I may have been closer to weight.
GunDoc and M-P know this wood so may have some good insights if you have any questions. Hope that helps and best wishes with the new one. Sounds like it could be a sweet one.