Author Topic: What ABO video would you like to see?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline iowabow

What ABO video would you like to see?
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:21:53 am »
If your interested in ABO knappin what would you like to see in my next couple of videos?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline paulsemp

Re: What ABO video would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:25 am »
as a complete amateur I do not know if this is too ridiculous of a question, how would one go about determining if a rock would be better off heat treated and if so how would one go about heat treating in an abo manner. I have some chert that is giving me real trouble it and I feel like heat treating might be an option for that.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:15 pm »
as a complete amateur I do not know if this is too ridiculous of a question, how would one go about determining if a rock would be better off heat treated and if so how would one go about heat treating in an abo manner. I have some chert that is giving me real trouble it and I feel like heat treating might be an option for that.
OK Paul funny you ask this question because I just brought some sand up from the creek and dried it out to do an ABO heat treating video. I have a pyrometer that will give us some good data to work from. No the pyrometer is not ABO but it will show us what temp we are getting based on how we set up the process. Tommorrow I will be spalling out rock so weather permitting we should be about to have a video covering this subject by Friday.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:42:42 pm by iowabow »

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
cool. If its not too much to ask is there any way you could throw a little clip in there on rock that needs to be heat treated and what to look for when spalling it out.  clues that would tell you The Rock will perform better with heat. sort of like a before and after. I hope you know what I mean. Thanks

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 05:29:51 pm »
cool. If its not too much to ask is there any way you could throw a little clip in there on rock that needs to be heat treated and what to look for when spalling it out.  clues that would tell you The Rock will perform better with heat. sort of like a before and after. I hope you know what I mean. Thanks
Yep we will do that!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »
I would love a vid on how to ID flint.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:57 pm »
I would love a vid on how to ID flint.
Well that is kinda intresting ...so many people in different location and difference kinds of flint. Hmm what do you mean by id? Stone that can make points or individual names for different varieties of flint.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »
If your interested in ABO knappin what would you like to see in my next couple of videos?

Just some simple arrow heads that I can make and go hunting with. Deer and turky is the main target.
Thanks for askin,
Greg

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »

Just some simple arrow heads that I can make and go hunting with. Deer and turky is the main target.
Thanks for askin,
Greg
Well while watching the fire I can certianly do that.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:44 pm »
Thanks ;)
I have made a few points but to see a arrow head made from a spall would be good. Just somethig simple to lash on the end of an arrow that will make meat.
 8)

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:11 pm »
You may have already done this but I would like see a video highlighting the difference in technique between copper and ABO methods... I am fair at spalling with hammer stone but have never touched antler or bone to stone but I am sure you have some hard learned tips that you could share  ;D
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:30 pm »
How about one with some actual hard chert, i know its gotta be doable, but not in my unskilled hands, i mean say your stranded, no fire just rock, and a sabretooth is stalking ya, gonna need something to bite back with....lol...but serously.  ???
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »
How about one with some actual hard chert, i know its gotta be doable, but not in my unskilled hands, i mean say your stranded, no fire just rock, and a sabretooth is stalking ya, gonna need something to bite back with....lol...but serously.  ???
Yep can be done. I made tha adena last week at Scott's house with raw chert. Sounds like a fun video.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:20:04 pm »
Just finished heat treating the burlington in a fire and have some really good info for you guys. I will try to get those videos up tomorrow. I learned some stuff I did not know in the process.