Author Topic: Question regarding chert in North West pennsylvania picts coming 7-11  (Read 3066 times)

Offline twisted hickory

I went for a walk up a ravine on my place today looking for some decent knappable stone. My fields have lots of little pieces of some type of chert or flint (not sure on the difference). Any ways i found a decent sized stone that I was able to spall some nice peices off of to make arrow heads. I live about 40 miles south of Lake Erie in Crawford county.
I need a hand identifying it i will upload some photos of the spalls and the actual stone i am getting the spalls off of.
Intresting to note that my Grandfather found a arrow head at his farm in a horse pasture that seems to be made out of the same material as what i found.
Picts coming tomorrow.
Greg

Offline AncientArcher76

If u get some pic up it would definatley help.  OutbackBob is out that way I think...not sure but glacially deposited onondaga may be in that area!
Also if your finding lots of flakes u could be near a work shop from natives.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Outbackbob48

Twisted hickory, I am in Erie, co.(Waterford area) The only material that i have found is some glacial till pcs of Onondaga, I man brought me a fist sized pc out of his cornfield an here is what was inside.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:36:03 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline iowabow

That's sweet!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline twisted hickory

Okay guys here is what i have. The first three Pict's are of what I found in my field. It was about foot ball sized and when I tried to spall it it mostly crumbled and smelled like natural gas. Onondaga? The last Pict are some stone that I found near a gravel pit about 1/2 mile from my house that is abandoned.
The small grey chunks are from another football sized piece I found in the gravel pit. The light colored stone with a tan center as well as the rest of the stones to the right were found from the same location. I did find one piece that looks like someone might have spalled it eons ago. The stuff that spalls okay has a cortex that is chalky in appearance and the stone is a dark grey and sort of granular. The granular stuff I think will make arrow heads if heat treated. So any suggestions on heat treating it?
There is more where this came from. There is not lots but enough to make it worth my while to go back.  The dark grey stuff is the same material that an arrow head was made out of that my grandfather found when I was a kid I think.
Thanks for the advice
Greg

Offline twisted hickory

Twisted hickory, I am in Erie, co.(Waterford area) The only material that i have found is some glacial till pcs of Onondaga, I man brought me a fist sized pc out of his cornfield an here is what was inside.
Nice! The stuff I have found so far just breaks up and doesn't spall well at all that has that coloration to it. The plain dark grey stone spalls decent.

Offline Outbackbob48

Greg, Onondaga, does smell like petroleum, an does not heat treat :( I am by far no expert on stone types but my guess on the grey grainy looking pcs are some type of ryholite. Ryholite, is real hard an can be extremely sharp, just not colorful an pretty. Sorry about hijacking and  posting pics on your thread :(. Got caught up in the moment. I have never found any materials here except for small pcs. of Onondaga, Most points that I have found are either Onondaga or flint ridge material, once in a great while find a point made from coshockton. Have you been knapping very long? Later Bob

Offline twisted hickory

Greg, Onondaga, does smell like petroleum, an does not heat treat :( I am by far no expert on stone types but my guess on the grey grainy looking pcs are some type of ryholite. Ryholite, is real hard an can be extremely sharp, just not colorful an pretty. Sorry about hijacking and  posting pics on your thread :(. Got caught up in the moment. I have never found any materials here except for small pcs. of Onondaga, Most points that I have found are either Onondaga or flint ridge material, once in a great while find a point made from coshockton. Have you been knapping very long? Later Bob

No offence Bob, I am glad you posted the pict :) When I was a teen I made some arrow heads out of glass but not much other than that. I didn't know and still don't know much but i am starting to get the basics. Hope to get a couple of heads worked this fall. Next summer I want to learn in ernest. This project started cause i am making 7 bows as gifts for christmas and I want to knap some little heads to put on the bow handle. I think it would make a nice touch. I have a bit of Ryholite around if that is what the stuff is. That gravel pit has quite a bit of it.
Thanks for the information.
Greg

Offline iowabow

Good looks like Bob's on top of it, I was hoping the video did not confuse you when I talked about  ryholite in reference to variety.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!