Author Topic: long lost Osage rescued  (Read 3858 times)

Offline sonny

Re: long lost Osage rescued
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 10:25:48 am »
It wasn't really lost, just misplaced for a while  ;)
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 02:32:09 am »
It was hard on this fat man to get that much across!  I was actually kinda relieved when I poked a hole in my boat.  Ya, floating them isn't really an option, but if we don't get some rain soon the old republican is gonna get low enough that I can drag em out with my horse.  The channels are only about 25 yds across now but still over my head.  By the time I get all these down to staves, the river will probably only be 3 or 4 feet deep.  If it doesn't rain, it'll only be knee deep by September.  I'll probably try again then.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 02:47:09 am »
Josh if I was in Kansas I would haul those sweet babies out for yah. For a small piece of course ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 07:50:06 am »
Nice haul,looks like some mighty fine Osage and well worth the trouble. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 08:51:15 am »
Cool josh... ;D ...at least if ya got hot ya could just jump in to cool off  ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53:20 am »
Man oh man that is a nice haul of wood.Your earning them that's for sure.Lots of belly splits I'd say with all of the checking going on.The story of these is far from over.No sense in letting them go to waste though.Why is it the nicer logs get into them situations.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »
Ed-those small checks don't go to far(I hope!) That end cut is the exposed end of the log.  I cut a  2 inch slab off to expose the rings better.  The other end of those quarters don't have those small checks.
Bryce- if you come down to KS, you better bring a one ton dually to haul home the Osage I'd send home with you!

I got pretty lucky with this stuff.  There were ant colonies in the logs, so no borer damage at all.  If it hadn't been for them, I doubt there would have been anything salvageable.  Josh

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:19 pm »
I got pretty lucky with this stuff.  There were ant colonies in the logs, so no borer damage at all.  If it hadn't been for them, I doubt there would have been anything salvageable.  Josh

I cut a live osage once that already an ant colony living in a split at the base of it. You even have bow from that tree. ;)
Steve Bennett

Offline country

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 01:01:38 am »
Good haul Josh ... can't wait to see what you do with it 8)