Author Topic: Arctic cable backed bow question  (Read 1549 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Arctic cable backed bow question
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:35 am »
There is a style of Arctic cable backed bows that have tips that curve backward instead of forward when strung.  These bows are really cool looking and the only way I ever see them is strung or at full draw like this image below. 

Does anyone happen to know what these bows look like unstrung?  What I am looking for is whether the curvature of the tips is permanent (heat bent) or happens after the bow is strung.  Knowing what the unstrung side profile looks like will help understand what the bowyers did to accomplish that look. 

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Arctic cable backed bow question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:56 am »
a couple museum shots

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
I went to Alaska a few weeks ago and took a lot of museum pictures of the archery equipment they used. Been meaning to post some pics! Will get them up asap!

Jon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »
So that is why you are twisting up 100 ft of sinew string! 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:43:25 pm »
I think I may have found a few clues to my question! :D :D

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41470.0.html scroll down to my Aug. 13 post

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:12:43 pm »
Hey SM, I got to believe your description is correct, especially from the certain types described by Murdock. You may find it interesting that some of the Scandinavian Artic area bows also had "deflexed" outer limbs. I'm not exactly sure but believe the experts think it has something to do with the mechanics of wooden bows in extreme cold conditions. The method used in handling the recurve bend area (bridged, plain, or transverse wrapped also indicate you are on the right track.

Just one guy's opinion though. Aint research fun?????
rich