Author Topic: Mountain men  (Read 7999 times)

Offline chessieboy

Mountain men
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:09:26 pm »
I'm sitting here watching the show Mountain men and one guy made a sinus backed bow. I thought it was pretty cool until he put the sinus one then snake skins and shot it a few hours later.  Did I miss something?  I really liked that guy til this.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Mountain men
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:20:35 pm »
I have it on the DVR and plan on watching it later tonight.  I'm guessing it is the magic of TV editing.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:51:27 am »
The bow he gave the guy wasn't the same bow he was working on "all night long". The osage on the belly of the bow he claimed to have just made had turned dark from age. The tillering was awful as well with big hinges in both limbs.

No way you can put sinew and a snake skin on and shoot a bow in a few hours.

Just another made up plot line inserted to impress city folk who don't know anything about the outdoors or have any knowledge of bow making. 

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:04:01 am »
Watched that show a couple times thought it was stupid especially how they dramatize every thing nothing they do on that show impresses me
I like osage

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:10 am »
+2, I think it's all dramatized foolishness for TV.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:22:00 am »
HA! Now I want to watch this... it ain't on netflix is it?  >:D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 01:32:17 am »
I love the show and take it for entertainment only....sure beats some of the stuff the wife would rather watch ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 01:42:35 am »
I love the show and take it for entertainment only....sure beats some of the stuff the wife would rather watch ;D
Yours to? let me guess,Iron chef,House rebuilder shows,chic flicks on lifetime channel  :P  It is entertaining,I like to pick out the parts that are BS !
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:50 am »
Yours to? let me guess,Iron chef,House rebuilder shows,chic flicks on lifetime channel  :P  It is entertaining,I like to pick out the parts that are BS !

Right now I am being tortured with a downton abby marathon...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 07:26:10 am »
I watched the sinew bow episode last night too. Tips at least an inch wide, and the tiller? I wouldn't have even drawn that thing. Yeah... make a sinew backed bow in a day or two and shoot it? "Eastern diamondback" skins? LOL I don't think so.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline ohma2

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:19 am »
yeah aint TV great anymore the only thing real anymore is all the people killing each other on the news.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:16 pm »

Well with that show the BS starts from the opening, and never stops!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:33:36 pm »
sinus backed? OUCH! ;D ;D

Offline Bignasty

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 04:00:30 pm »
The only person I care to watch on there is marty and thats because I saw and artical about him along time ago in outdoor life. The artical was very poorly written but I got the idea that hes the real deal and has been doing what he does successfully for many years. The other is and old hippie and the old man that made the bow should have shot that dog last season if it caused him as many problems as it did.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 06:23:48 pm »
Saw the start of the episode where the friend asked for a bow two days before he wanted it, then I got busy with something and didn't see the rest.  Glad I didn't.  He could've cranked out a real selfbow in two days.  I guess the idea of sinew backing was just too sexy for them to not include.

I think Marty has the most actual mountain skills even if he is using more modern equipment.  That dude is living on the edge on a daily basis.  Eustus is just a subsistence farmer and not a great one from what I can tell.  He'd be more interesting if they'd show his still and his patch of weed.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO