Author Topic: Have a woodworking question  (Read 1860 times)

Offline steve b.

Have a woodworking question
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:23:13 pm »
There's alot of skilled craftsmen around here so I thought I'd ask for some advice on a non-bow project.  My neighbor has one of those wooden statues of a bear that was made with a chainsaw.  Its about 3 ft tall and almost 2 ft wide.  Not sure the wood, fir maybe.  Its painted brown.

It needs some work.  A large knot has rotted out on top and comes out the side.  It needs to be filled or plugged cuz the lady wants to put the bear outside and doesn't want rain to collect in there.  There's a bunch of smaller cracks all over the bear, which I can deal with, but one large crack from top to bottom that is about 1/4" wide on the outside and tapers into the middle of the bear.  I want to fill that too.

So what should a guy use to fill big voids like that in wood?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Have a woodworking question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:30:13 am »
Glue and sawdust or they make a putty that's used for filling gaps. There both pretty much the same thing.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:39 am »
There's alot of skilled craftsmen around here so I thought I'd ask for some advice on a non-bow project.  My neighbor has one of those wooden statues of a bear that was made with a chainsaw.  Its about 3 ft tall and almost 2 ft wide.  Not sure the wood, fir maybe.  Its painted brown.

It needs some work.  A large knot has rotted out on top and comes out the side.  It needs to be filled or plugged cuz the lady wants to put the bear outside and doesn't want rain to collect in there.  There's a bunch of smaller cracks all over the bear, which I can deal with, but one large crack from top to bottom that is about 1/4" wide on the outside and tapers into the middle of the bear.  I want to fill that too.

So what should a guy use to fill big voids like that in wood?

Thanks,

Steve
Go buy some epoxy putty, clean out those cracks, and push it in like wall putty on a spatula. Then seal and paint. IMO epoxy putty is the world's best gap filler.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:25:51 am »
Glue and sawdust or they make a putty that's used for filling gaps. There both pretty much the same thing.

+2  I sometimes use wood, but in most cases its Glue and sawdust     ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:11:46 am »
 +3  ;) :) :)Glue and sawdust is hard to beat as a filler, probably wasn't seasoned well when he made it, Drying checks you see that a lot in them big carvings. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:31:55 am »
Glue and sawdust is all I could think of too, beings how I'm going to need about 3 or 4 cups of it.  I also thought about vulcum (sp?) construction adhesive, especially for the large crack because I could get the nozzle of the tube down in there.  The big hole on top, however, maybe just a cap over the holes.  We'll see.  thanks !

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 10:13:29 am »
the big hardware stores sell wood filler in big cans.it works great and can be painted.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 11:24:27 am »
ive used glue and sawdust before. any pics?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:28:44 am »
OK, I'll definitely look into the wood filler because painting it will be important

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 12:23:54 pm »
depending on the size of the crack perhaps a "splinter" to fill the bulk of the crack and finish with filler or glue - Gorilla glue comes to mind since once it dries it can be sanded and painted. A wooden (dowel) plug for the knot hole too. Good luck with that.

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 12:42:29 pm »
I'm not an experienced woodworker so let someone back me up if I'm right or shoot me down if its stupid for the deep  and wide stuff could you fill it with caulk to a point and then use your glue and sawdust or puddy to finish the surface?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
This is a good example of why this is a awesome forum !!
The youngen says use the new Hi tech stuff , which does a amazing job you can even make reverse forms to give you the look you want when done !
Then you have the get it done folk, throw some sawdust and glue in it , and that is a good idea and cheaper too !!
Then YB chimes in , with cutting pieces to fit and gluing them in , can't even tell it was ever any different !
There may even be a couple more ideas show up , they will have their merit as well !
What a good bunch of folks !!!
Take care and have fun !!
Guy
In fact I can't even get this posted cause they are still flowing in !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 12:56:29 pm »
If you like I have lots of sawdust from my sawing today.  I have two bags full. If your interested send me a PM
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »
the wood filler will be in the wood stain aisle at the big hardware store.good luck buddy.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:00 pm »
For outdoor use, I would fill with good old reliable Bondo.  Notthin gonna be better at that price.