Author Topic: Youth and their electronics  (Read 7793 times)

Offline Poggins

Youth and their electronics
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:06:45 pm »
I was at the lake last night with friends and one of the guys started talking about his daughter freaking out because her cell phone was about dead and she didn't have a way of charging it .
Dan works construction and they have a lot of younger workers , Dan said most of them get paranoid if they don't have a place to charge their phones or laptops . I didn't have a cellphone until about five years ago , my job on the turnpike requires me to be close to a phone most of the time especially winter, and I didn't start using the Internet until four years ago. Working on the pike I see people texting and driving all the time , I just don't know how they can be aware of what is going on around them . Dan thinks if you gave the kids today a choice of their right arm or their cell the kids would give up their arm, one of the parents got an app that shuts their daughters phone off at midnight ( you'd think they grounded her for life the way she responded when they mentioned it ) .
While they wher talking about this I was on my phone , Mike looked at me and asked who I was texting , I responded no one , I'm on my two favorite sights looking at bows , Primative Archer and Tradrag , they just laughed at me and went on complaining about cellphones , wonder what they would do if they lost theirs?

Offline bow101

Re: Youth and their electronics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:18:08 pm »
Cell phones Texting has become a real pet peve of mine.  It has been proven that more accidents and deaths.!!! are caused by distracted drivers, THAN Drunk Drivers.  And most of the distraction is from Texting.
And guess what the other day I was driving and this woman was behind me at the stop sign. She kept looking down, as I inched ahead to approach the main drag she quickly looked up lerched ahead and immediately looked down to text and almost hit the rear of my car..!!! >:D >:D >:D

I'm getting sick of it.... >:D >:D >:D >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:25:04 pm »
I hate it it when people text and drive its like what in the hell is so important
I like osage

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:54:48 pm »
I collected iPods and kept them from my kids for two weeks last month to insure work around the house got done. It worked like a champ  :). They actually played outside and read books more when they had free time and didn't complain or miss the devices. Now that they have them back, they aren't glued to them at all.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »
What you are witnessing is the death of a society and civilization. People talk more and say less now than any other time. You don't get "Dear John" letters anymore, you get "Dear John" emails. People call each other while they're both in the same supermarket. I was once at a Denny's and the girlfriend phones the boyfriend while he's in the latrine to ask what he wants to drink. Great background noise, I'm sure. Try going on a date and your date is texting constantly. "Oh, I'm sorry, what did you say? I was texting my friend..." I was saying how about I take you home and let's pull the plug on this right now. I can go home and work on my arrows. You go into a public restroom and someone is in a stall talking on the phone. Are you kidding me??? Who wants to hear that background noise? Is there nothing you can do in private anymore? How does that conversation go? "Where you at?" "Oh, I'm sitting here taking a crap. What are you doing?" "Oh, cool, so am I!" C'mon, people! This all makes me wonder if avoiding that nuclear war with the Soviets was such a blessing after all.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Newindian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:31:25 am »
We got rear ended by people texting twice in about two months
I like free stuff.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:31:36 am »
I love my cell phone as much as anyone and I do text now & then but I don't see the addiction of texting with the kids. For generations, kids have gotten more away from writing of any kind but now choose to text when they could sometimes walk 20 paces and talk directly to the person. But what do I know. I am 56 and still write letters to people. Yes, those pieces of paper with words written or typed. I type most of mine or no one could read them. My writing is not so good.   
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:15:47 am »
Totally saw a state trooper texting and driving  >:D  Like any good Turk woud do I pull out my cell phone and take a picture :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:28:00 am »
I'm a Truck Driver - all local stuff, back and forth to a GM Plant - 10 Miles one way on surface roads. At least once a day, I have someone drift over the centerline into My lane while texting  >:(. But My pet peeve is at traffic lights - light changes to green and You can bet that You'll be held up by MORONS with their heads down texting away. It is amazing tho how fast they get moving when You give them the air horn wake up  >:D >:D >:D. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 04:50:50 am »
When I was about 9 kids in my year started getting phones.  I asked them what they do with them and they said make calls and stuff.  The next day during break someone was rexting someone in the same room!  Im 16 now and only got a phone 7 months ago. And I use it for calls, games (but only when doing things like waiting for the bus) and writing posts on here apart from that im almost always in the workshop making/breaking bows, cutting yew staves,  building a canoe.  I could easily live without my phone and I need to when I go on camps as I can't charge it.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:47:21 pm »
people always ask if I am teaching my son primitive skills like knapping and I often joke that when I figure out a video game that will show him how to do it then we will learn it!

Kids in strollers with movies on Ipads to keep them quiet and entertained so mom and dad can take their time. Kids texting while following mom and dads heels around because they do not like to lift their heads. People look like they are crazy by talking to themselves, cept they are talking to their Bluetooth(see what happens when you don't brush your teeth, they turn blue!) in the car, in nature wherever.... not enough enforcement folks to get them all.  All in due time I suppose.

Offline string wax

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »
done gone to far nothing we can do sad time we live in

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:25 pm »
When I was about 9 kids in my year started getting phones.  I asked them what they do with them and they said make calls and stuff.  The next day during break someone was rexting someone in the same room!  Im 16 now and only got a phone 7 months ago. And I use it for calls, games (but only when doing things like waiting for the bus) and writing posts on here apart from that im almost always in the workshop making/breaking bows, cutting yew staves,  building a canoe.  I could easily live without my phone and I need to when I go on camps as I can't charge it.

I know it was a typo, but I think you have coined a new word....rexting.  But may I suggest we add another letter to the word to make it a bit more clear?  "WREXTING"  I saw a guy walk into a utility pole the other day while walking down the sidewalk texting.  He looked to me for sympathy as blood washed outa his nose.  Maybe I am an ass, but I laughed. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 07:38:06 pm »
hahah I have a phone, but most of the time its not charged or I dunno where it is. My mom gets mad about that- but if I need it I can usually find it(my main use for it is... when mom calls while I am biking or slinging saying DINNERTIME!)
My sister is opposite-she sends several thousand texts a month. Like 8 thousand or so(dad looked at bill, our family has unlimited texting...) I send under 10 a month except if parents text me.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 08:20:24 pm »

I know it was a typo, but I think you have coined a new word....rexting.  But may I suggest we add another letter to the word to make it a bit more clear?  "WREXTING"  I saw a guy walk into a utility pole the other day while walking down the sidewalk texting.  He looked to me for sympathy as blood washed outa his nose.  Maybe I am an ass, but I laughed.

I saw someone trip while wrexting :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"