Author Topic: hophornbeam  (Read 7624 times)

blackhawk

Re: hophornbeam
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »
Yep, me too Chris. I can find them straight enough, but they're usually badly twisted. I'm fresh out of hophornbeam right now and I will be resuming the search soon.

Hey if ya cut some save me one,and just give it to me next time I see ya ;)  :laugh:  I saw lots of hub today and notta one was worthy...I'm real picky most the time with any whitewood I cut...osage I don't care how nasty it is  >:D

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »
Ok, if I find some, I'll put your name on one.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

blackhawk

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »
Sweet....its on my to cut list this year again too cus I'm pretty much out too...for some reason all my hhb staves n bows I make disappear and find new homes  ::)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 10:29:15 am »
Sounds like a plan Bloodhound.Hope to see you at Eldora,Iowa August 3,2013.Got the ironwood and hedge picked out already for ya.Ironwoods' back  has been shellacked and was cut last december and is ready to be made into a bow and the hedge has been chased to one ring with a very clean back and been shellacked since last august.They are ready.If possible but it might not make any difference the maples growing in the shade with the thinner rings would be nice if not that's ok.I seem to like my hickory that way.Make sure it's hard rock maple your cutting now not this silver maple soft coon den stuff like we have here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 11:57:05 am »
I wont have any trouble finding sugar maple. Would you be opposed to me debarking and shelaking the back of did you want the bark on? If you want the bark on I will have to check the regulations on transporting wood.

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »
Thank you Thesquirrelslinger! for that link,,my friend an I went out to cut an ironwood tree,,,and he said here's one,but didn't look like ironwood to me,,and one I found didn't look ironwood to him........that said maybe neither are! but his was  Hophornbeam,,one I picked, Hornbeam,,now we know!  Thanks! 
hope I don't destroy them both!............excellent site! love it!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.