Author Topic: Maple backed ipe r/d 32# at 28", a successful experiment...  (Read 5324 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Maple backed ipe r/d 32# at 28", a successful experiment...
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »
Nice.  I have something similar in the works.  PM me with thicknesses if you wouldn't mind.

Thank you, :). I will post the thickness and widths in a couple minutes, and pm them to you too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Maple backed ipe r/d 32# at 28", a successful experiment...
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »
Praire Bowyer,

- backing is about 1/8" consistent thickness
- power lam is 19" long and 1/4" thick in the middle,
- belly is about 7/32" thick with a consistent thickness
- limbs are 1 3/16" wide at the fades, with a pyramid taper to 7/32" where the overlays begin,
5/32" at the actual nocking points.
- handle is 8 1/2" long

I did round the belly off a bit though. I will say, while this worked great for me, in retrospect I have been making reflexed normal flat profile pyramids, and for some reason they have not been bending correctly from the get go. Both of the ones I have made like that (the maple backed jatoba pyramid I posted is one of them) were bending all at the fades from the start, and I had to tiller the outer limbs to bend, which I shouldn't have to be doing I thought. I don't know if it is because I am reflexing them about 3 inches during glue up, or my power lam is not long enough or done right, or what. They seem to want to hinge right where the powerlam begins. I am thinking maybe I could use a thinner longer power lam on these? (the power lam I used on these was shorter than this r/d, they were like 12", both handles were 8 1/2". I have made a bunch of normal red oak pyramid selfbows, where I could just shape the bow and string and shoot it, with zero tillering. Part of me wants to make the power lam a bit gradual in it's incline, like a hill, and not a wedge, because that is how I do my fades usually. If I can't figure it out, I am just gonna start thickness tapering again...

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair