Author Topic: Elm sapwood  (Read 7572 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Elm sapwood
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:11:14 pm »
PB, score the log with a circular saw, kerfing it about 1" deep. This will help guide the split more cleanly. Be very careful cutting the kerf so the saw doesn't get away from you. It can be dangerous.

+1 on that. Only way to split elm IMHO. Works good for ash, too. Nice bow Pat B, bye the way!!
Ash isn't too hard to split. Only took me 10 mins to split a 6" log with just a hatchet and wedge.
Elm can be split, its just a lot of work. It can also tolerate some slight grain runout(and is less prone to lifting splinters IMHO), more so than any other wood IMHO. Take a sledge, 2 wedges, and a hatchet, and get to work. Expect it to take more than an hour.
You need to chop the interlocking pieces of grain with the hatchet, after starting the split with it and putting a wedge in it.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 09:15:39 pm »
If you use the bottom of the tip of the chainsaw and pull it  along backward, there will be no danger of kickbacks--only the danger of tripping and falling down.

I saw out my elm staves that way. I never try to split them anymore.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »
Closest thing to elm I've split is hackberry it was tough but I enjoy splitting out staves believe it or not i want to get my hands on some elm to see how tough it is to split
I like osage

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »
This log  would not split.  The fibers began to pull out from each side then Ihad to hand saw them.  And that only after chainsawing a "kerf" that ran 7/8" of the depth of the log. 

WHY is elm not the premium bow wood?

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
Elasticity ;)
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »
Elm is a premium bow wood. Did someone tell you it wasn't?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 01:56:13 pm »
Going back for a loang log trunk that is beam straight and about 18" in diameter.