Author Topic: First caul  (Read 1220 times)

Offline DLH

First caul
« on: July 05, 2013, 02:02:23 am »
My dad and I made this caul tonight its my first one it looks good to me but I don't know enough to be able to tell. I was going for 3in and its 66in long made from 2x6s. I would like to thank hedgeapple for the advising me to build one and Gopher and Pearl Drums for posting your build alongs that's what I went off of. I wanted it primarily for removing twist in a black locust stave but it will be handy for other things as well. Well here it is:

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline osage outlaw

Re: First caul
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:13:49 am »
That should work.  Just make sure you have the bow on it belly side up  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:45:01 am »
Looks good to me. My god, what other wicked machines do you have?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:20:37 am »
Well, looks like it kinda hinges right at the red spots, and from there outward it's straight again. Plus it is a lot of reflex. The reflex should constantly increase towards the tips, and there should not be to much of it.
Mr. Gary Davis shows that real detailed in his DVD.
I think Pappy could shime in on this...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:27:46 am »
Good eye medicinewheel,my eyes are getting old ,but for me I want good even reflex from handle to tip, that one does seem to be flatter to mid limb or so and then go more, may just be the picture, It will work just makes things a little more difficult tillering.I have some with 2/3/4/6 inches but prefer the 2 or 3. A bow starting with 6 inches of reflex and wind's up with 2 don't seem to me to do any better than one starting with 2 and winding up with 1 or flat and much easier to handle and hit weight starting with less.  :) Not criticising DLH, that will work,just if you build another,and you will , try and keep it even all the way through,at least that's what I do. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:37 am »
Yeah I will build another for sure now should I even use this one? Criticism welcome Pappy I just want to do things right.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:34:01 am by DLH »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:24:20 pm »
Daniel, I see the flat spot they are talking about. Just use a belt sander and round it out as if tillering(slow and evenly) and it will be good to go. Nice job! That should work well for you :)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »
This is the one I use.I think by heat treating one limb at a time ,it give more control of the process ,because it counter balances any imperfections that the form may have.Also with that style you have to be very careful not to cook the back because the vertical board has a tendancy to direct heat to the inside. At the right angle.I make mind by bending an aluminum yard stick to a cuvre I like ,hold in place with nail ,trace and cut out.my first caul was like yours,just saying what has worked best for me so far ! Good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.