Author Topic: Double Backing Bows?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline d3m0n3y

Double Backing Bows?
« on: July 05, 2013, 02:02:39 am »
Could you double back a bow? For example, use fiberglass to help give it strength yet have snakeskins over it to give it a more decorative look? I am about to start working on my first bow and I am trying to figure out if I need to go snake hunting here soon, lol.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Double Backing Bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:12:38 am »
I suggest you get fiberglass off your list of backing material and look closer at rawhide. And yes you can double back bows. I just did a rawhide backed yew with sturgeon skin on a small portion of each limb.
Anyways happy building, and welcome to PA and the addiction of self reliance archery :)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:26:21 am »
On my very first bow i used fiberglass tape, i pulled it out of the closet last month and broke it for fun. The tape did nothing, the limb had a clean break, like the fg tape was never there. Like bryce said, use raw hide instead.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 03:27:32 am »
Oh and welcome to pa.     ;D

Offline d3m0n3y

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:37 am »
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up on fiberglass, and I am so glad to hear I can still have the snakeskin on there as a cosmetic backing  ;D. Also, any tips on making a pyramid style flat bow? I'm planning on using Hickory, if that changes anything.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 03:40:51 am »
Head on over to the 'Archives' and 'How to' sections of the forum. There you should have no problem finding out what you need. If anything is unclear feel free to ask :)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 03:43:26 am »
I've seen snake skin backings over sinew alot.  It looks great. 
And hickory is pretty much indestructible unless your skills as a beginner were as bad mine were.  :P
But the trick to using hickory is you have to get the moisture down to about 6%, then work it.  And it's a great wood.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline d3m0n3y

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 03:49:07 am »
I've been doing a lot of reading on it having to be around 6% and decided to go buy a moisture meter. I figure it'll help more than it'll cost, especially in the long run.  So thanks for the tip Jeremiah.

Alright, thanks Bryce.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:07 am »
instead of using a moisture meter you can use this chart, if the wood has stabilized weight to .0(x) ounces or whatever decimal place then it will be fine and then you can see what MC it is. http://www.csgnetwork.com/emctablecalc.html
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 04:04:46 am »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:19:38 am »
Wouldent a double backed be considered a trilam? :laugh: I dont consider a selfbow backed with snakeskins a backed bow because it doesn't change the poundage and you dont put it on to keep the bow from breaking. If you take it off, it doesn't change the nature of the bow.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline d3m0n3y

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »
Thanks for that chart, IonicMuffin. I think I'm gonna go with Bubby's Pyramid build, it seems simpler to do than others I have seen elsewhere.

Misslemaster, I had never heard of a trilam till your post and I understand snake skins are purely for the cosmetic appeal.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 02:49:39 pm »
I'd also wait until you have at least 100 arrows through your to be bow before adding the snake skin just in case.  ;)
 At the top of the "How To" page is a link to George Tsoukalas' website. That would be a good place to start. George's site has ecerything you'll need to know to build your bow.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline d3m0n3y

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:50:06 pm »
Oh cool, thanks Pat B. I did not know about that guy's website, I will be sure to look into that. Thank you all for the tips and information, I plan on starting this bow when I get the wood which should be here in a few days.