Author Topic: New to Hunting  (Read 3267 times)

Offline steven.nance

New to Hunting
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »
Hi, guys. I'm new here and I was hoping I could get some help with something. I would really love to hunt primitively, but I have no idea how to get started. I've never hunted before. I was hoping I could get some help on how to go about doing it. That is, knowing where to hunt, how to actually do it effectively, what to do with game I've taken (cleaning and whatnot), and anything else that's involved. I think it'd be tough to find someone who hunts the way I'd like to hunt. I want to hunt on the ground with a primitive bow. If anybody could direct me to some resources, I'd really appreciate it. Even better, If anyone lives in western North Carolina and wouldn't mind allowing me to tag along on a hunt (probably asking a lot, I know) I'd really appreciate it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New to Hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »
Where in WNC do you live. I'm in Brevard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »
Hey Steven, it's my understanding that the Pat B guy is a real bad influence >:D    Ya could do a whole lot worse than him to show ya some ropes, take that to the bank.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »
Well, Steven, if you are gonna jump in the pool you might as well jump into the swift, deep, and rocky end of the pool!  I don't know if you are just plain nuts or like setting yourself to difficult tasks, but you sure did it this time.  Don't take that as disparaging you, if anything I think more of you for choosing such a difficult and honorable way to pursue game. 

Primitive gear makes you get up close and personal, technology does not stand between you and your goals.  It becomes more difficult, but in the best of all possible ways...it brings Fair Chase to a near religious value. 

Pat makes good bows, great conversation, and a wonderful friend.  Hope the two of you can make the connection!  Meanwhile, read every thread you can on bowmaking and get yourself ready for a bumpy ride, this is quite a mania!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »
I'm near Asheville. Not too far for me to make a trip, brother.

Thanks for the kind words, JW. Nothing worth doing has ever been easy. And I'm willing to take my time.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:36 am »
  Hunting with a selfbow makes you take your time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:17:26 pm »
And remember,rabbits are a lot harder to get than ya think they would be,waskilly wabbits,you will see.....lol >:D
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:07 pm »
Going with Pat ...or anyone with some hunting experience would be a great way to start.  Alone or with someone be sure to start with small game...not large.

Rabbits were mentioned but I think squirrel are nearly everywhere and may be the best start for a novice.  I think squirrel is great practice for the novice or experienced hunter.

Have fun and I hope you can go with someone....hunters really enjoy sharing their experiences with other hunters!!!  But non-hunters don't really get the experience and therefore don't make as good as listeners!!

Have fun, Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!