Author Topic: Kentucky Coffee Tree Sapwood  (Read 2234 times)

BobbyO

Kentucky Coffee Tree Sapwood
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »
Is the sapwood usable in making a bow or should I remove it and chase a heartwood ring? Thanks to every poster on this site; it's like thumbing through an encyclopedia. Be well, BobbyO 

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Kentucky Coffee Tree Sapwood
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »
I dunno, to be safe just remove it.

I can't find any data on it. Just that its heavy, strong, and hard.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »
The one bow I made from it early in my bow making venture, I cut it and treated it like hickory and peeled the bark using the outermost growth ring and not chasing a ring. I liked the contrast of sap vs. heartwood in this species. My tillering was rushed and poor and it took lots of set :(. It shot alright even though I put set into it.

Need to try it again.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »
I'm making one right now for the bow trade. You don't have to chase a ring unless you want to thin the sapwood to have better contrast for looks. If you do try to chase a ring it is very easy to do.  Make the limbs wide 1 3/4 to 2 inches or you will have set, also heat temper the belly it will respond well to heat. Over all it is a pleasure to work and smells good when cooking it.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:27:27 pm »
What profile works with coffee tree wood?
I cut one today and got four good staves from it , stripped the bark and sealed the back with shellac . I've done a search and haven't seen too many and not much on the profiles , I haven't found the build along for it yet , may be typing the wrong words for the search .

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
What profile works with coffee tree wood?
I cut one today and got four good staves from it , stripped the bark and sealed the back with shellac . I've done a search and haven't seen too many and not much on the profiles , I haven't found the build along for it yet , may be typing the wrong words for the search .

Here's one http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18018.msg249934.html#msg249934
I like osage

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
Thanks , I had found it a few minutes ago , just had to typ the right words in on the search .
I've never attempted a Molly before and curious if coffee tree would handle it , may have to try it after I make a bow or two out of it and get used to it , mostly work osage and been playing with some chittam wood latly .

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 01:38:27 am »
I believe it was toomanyknots that made a sweet coffee recurve....I have a stave im a bit afraid to try from a branch cluster on the edge...good luck ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:15 am »
Here's one
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18018.msg249934.html#msg249934

Good find Joe! Not sure how I missed it since I go through the old posts frequently.
Tim did a real nice job with it as well.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:06:18 am »
Here is the inspiration for the trade bow I'm working on.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18322.0.html

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
I've made one KCT bow without the sapwood.Good bow wood it is.Plenty elastic.Ring pourus.Personally I don't have any use for the sapwood on them.It does heat treat well though and turns that purple violet color.I did a breaking test on it.It took a lot of set before finally breaking.To me it is a little bit lighter version of hickory.I think it is dense enough to put a bamboo back on.I have a good stave yet that'll be a special project one of these days.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed