Author Topic: Scouting pics (heavy, bear heavy)  (Read 3476 times)

Offline steve b.

Scouting pics (heavy, bear heavy)
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:06:47 am »
I'm going for trophy muledeer this year and scouted a new spot today.  I'll be hunting elk too but its better deer country. 
Took the dog and was watching the dog work below me on a small hillside and noticed something moving below him down in the creek.  I sent the dog up the hill and snuck down and could see a bear just sitting down there, like 35 yds.  I thought he might be injured or had cubs or something but couldn't believe he just stayed down there with all the commotion that the dog was making. 

Finally he walks out and walks over to about 45 yds. and sits down and just looks at me.  I'm walking all around trying to get angle for good pics and he's just looking around.  Finally I call the dog down so he can watch the bear.  The bear took one look at him and all I did was blink and the bear was gone.  ?

This is a big bear but not as fat as he'll be by fall.  I think he's old and couldn't see or hear well.  A month ago I would have put him out of his misery.

Offline steve b.

Re: Scouting pics (heavy, bear heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:36 am »
I looked at some hillsides where the big bucks should be feeding and bedding.  I immediately ran into this guy which I thought was a good omen. 

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:14:16 am »
Here's where I'll be this fall, hopefully carrying my tradebow and some cane arrows...........

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:29:15 am »
Wow, great pics of that bear, and beautiful hunting grounds
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:04 am »
Silly bear
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:48 am »
Plenty of good browsing and grazing there. Should be a good hunting spot. Those burned over areas attract wildlife, probably for the exposed minerals and lush vegityation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:07 am »
I think you are right, Pat.  I have another spot like this, 4 hours down the highway, that looks identical.  Where I find this type of cover I always find critters.
And both of these spots are about 3 miles in, so little pressure.  You'd be lucky to find a buck feeding out in the open like this closer to roads.  Whenever I hike in a ways I get more action.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »
Nice pics and beautiful hunting area.What a great place to be in the fall with a bow in your hand. Good luck and hope we see some pics of you and your big muley buck in a few months Steve.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:03:31 pm »
Looks pretty gamey to me!  That is a nice looking bear.  I hope he is around for you come september.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:01 pm »
I'm in bro!  Packed and ready!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:08 pm »
Cool pics!
That looks like a really nice bear, good luck with the bucks this fall!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Moggy

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:31:38 pm »
Missionary Ridge?