Author Topic: ARRRRRRRRRRGGG my drill is dead...  (Read 2923 times)

Offline toomanyknots

ARRRRRRRRRRGGG my drill is dead...
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:03:00 am »
My cheap corded black and decker drill is dead. The cord kept falling out of the drill for some reason, and finally fell out so far it stopped working tonight. Right before I was about to finish up a bamboo yellow heart ipe trilam elb. It is a nice bow too! Kept 1 1/2" reflex, 71 1/2" ntn or so, probably pulling 75# @ 28" or so...  :'( :'( :'( I loved that drill, bought for 5 dollars on craigslist, it was my first powertool (bought last winter). I learned to drill and buff horn nocks with it last winter with help from del and rod (from paleoplanets) help. Made a good amount of bows with it. It will be greatly missed,... lol. Anybody else get stupid attached to tools sometimes?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: ARRRRRRRRRRGGG my drill is dead...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:12:49 am »
Yea, an old dremel. Need a drill? We have 3 at my house.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:15:02 am »
You might be able to take it apart and reconnect the wires.  Somebody gave me a bunch of old power tools.  They were so old the cords were all dry rotted and falling apart.  I was able to replace every cord and they all work to this day.  It's worth a shot if you like it that much.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:21:58 am »
You might be able to take it apart and reconnect the wires.  Somebody gave me a bunch of old power tools.  They were so old the cords were all dry rotted and falling apart.  I was able to replace every cord and they all work to this day.  It's worth a shot if you like it that much.

Osage, you are always helpful with tool issues, thank you, I didn't even think about trying that, ill save it and try to get it working. It might of been dry rotted as well as it was just falling out of the drill.

Yea, an old dremel. Need a drill? We have 3 at my house.

Haha. Thats fine actually, if I can't get this old one working again, I figure I will swipe one off of craigslist again.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:26:09 am »
I got a nice road bike off of craigslist with the assistance of my dad.
Schwinn traveler, made in japan, rims true, derailers, brakes work, not a scratch. Lovingly cared for.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30:53 am »
I'm not really attached to any of my tools but my draw knife, hatchet and rasp are three essential tools to me that I use ALoT
I like osage

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:31:47 am »
Hatchet, pocketknife. I have had both for a while, and the hatchet has gone through 3 re-works.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:34:07 am »
A few screws are usually the only thing holding it together.  It will probably separate into two halves.  Just make sure you get everything back in the right place when you put it back together.  The trigger assembly can be tricky.  Good luck. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:43:33 am »
if you do decide to fix the cord, you can replace it with one from an old vac.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:26 am »

Or you can look up the nearest Harbor Freight, and get a cordless, or corded, cheap, and they work fine.  I have two cordless, 18v that I paid about 18 dollars each, and a hammer drill, I bought for the hurricanes, and they are all still working fine.  The hammer drill was a bit bigger than a normal drill, and only cost me about 30 bucks.  If you have a B&D store, or Dewalt store near you, you can get parts for it. ;)

Wayne

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 05:26:28 am »
I recently bought a brand new table saw at a charity auction for around $20 it is amazing and will save me a ton of time.  Sorry to hear about your drill. May it rest in piece/s
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:23 am »
Yup try and fix it, I have.  Have done some amazing things with my electric drill. Made a lamp pedestalt with it.  Clamped the drill in the vice and made a jig to hold the other end steady.  The lamp turned out really nice..... 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 07:24:10 am »
Try not to get to attached to tools or staves  ;) :) :) ,but would at least try and repair it ,if the coard is the problem, like Clint said they ant much trouble to put a coard on. :) 3 or 4 screws and just watch how it all comes apart. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marks

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:34:01 pm »
I was working on a double decker canoe trailer I made a few weeks ago and my cordless powerdrill fell off the top. It broke in half at the handle. The cords are still attached and it works but the body is in 2 pieces. I need to ducktape engineer a fix for it. It was my first power tool. I need to see if it is warrantied.

Offline Roy

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 05:27:21 pm »
Get yourself one of these, about $13:00... :) ;)

Batteries not included:)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:19:25 pm by Roy »