Author Topic: More Flea market  (Read 1520 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
More Flea market
« on: June 30, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
I also got this and need some help from some of the black powder guys. It looks like a kit that wasn't finished and it needs a trigger and lock and hammer. Can this be matched up or is it a waste of time? the initials are EJB, if the B was a P it would match mine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Don

Re: More Flea market
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »
I don't know how much this will help but if you have a Track of the Wolf catalog they have full size pictures of their locks and I think measurements [been awhile since I've seen one].
Also try their web sight, it may also have measurements.

BTW. Good find. Smooth bore? Hows the bore?

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
It looks like someone cannibalized this for parts. Lots of surface rusting, so be sure the bore is sound if you decide to refurbish it.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »

Eddie, the decorative bar for the lock screw, on the opposite side, looks like the Dixie arms trade musket pattern.  Check the site Don gave, and Dixie Arms.  If it looks like it is sound, not to badly rusted in the bore, go for it.  Is there any other markings on it, if if is made in Japan, it probably has a pinned breech plug, instead of threaded.
How much did you get "THIS" flea market item for?  I still want to go to the flea market with you sometime!  Depending on how much you spent, which is likely next to nothing knowing you, I would go ahead and put a lock and trigger on it.
At the very least make it a functional wall hanger.  I assume it is a smooth bore?  it would make a nifty snake gun....... ;D 8)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »
I was going to try Track of the Wolf and Dixie. I was hoping someone recognized the kit and saved me a lot of research. :) The barrel hasn't been browned or blued. The rifling still looks sharp and has minor rust. I haven't tried to see which ball drops in yet but it looks like a .44, which I have a mold for. If it doesen't work out I only gave $20 for it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:28 am »
Great find Eddie ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:27:05 am »
Post your pictures on the American Longrifle site in the gun building section. The guys there will be able to tell you what it is and where you can find parts for it, some might even have parts laying around from when they had the same kit.

You did really well for $20. The brass barrel inlays and engraving make me think this is not a kit gun. Pull the barrel and see if there are proof marks on the underside, something about that barrel makes me think India, or Pakistan but I am not knowledgeable enough to say for sure. 

http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:36:22 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:48:00 am »
Thanks, Eric, I was hoping you would look at it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »
Junk and unsafe send it to me for proper disposal !!  >:D
You may want to study the proof marks first !  :laugh:

Hope you got a good one !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:05:03 pm »
  Back when I was in high school (79) with I graduated. Me and the boy next door bought a couple each (kits) from DIXIE GUN WORKS my friend bought a 38 CAL. That looked a lot like that one. But that was like 40 years ago. So take that with a grain of salt that was a time back.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:37:35 pm »
 I just checked it with the lead balls I have and a .440 rolls down the barrel real snug.I'm going to pull the barrel off in a few minutes and see If I can find some more clues. Thanks for all of the help, guys.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:55 am »
     The wood is what makes me think the comment about India may be in the ball park.  It kinda looks like Mahogany, but could be something like Camphor wood also.  Not your usual, European maple, or Walnut.  Also, the brass bands.  If the barrel is sound, and has a threaded breech plug, I'll give you your money back for it. ;)  Heck, I'll even toss in a six pack,......ooops, that's right, you can't have that anymore, ok, then, I will buy you a lottery ticket.  Uh...... wait a minute, if it is a winner, I get 30% of it.  Never mind, you would just leave town, without a forwarding address.  Ok, I will give you $25.00 cash! :o 8)

Wayne 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:54 pm »
I put your pictures on the firearms ID forum on the Muzzloader Forum. These guys will know what you have.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?fid/143/tid/281082/pid/1293133/post/1293133/#1293133

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 11:31:08 pm »
Thank you, Eric. I just registered tonight.
Lakeland, Florida