Author Topic: Osage, Sinew, Rawhide painted bow. (unstrung pic added)  (Read 9056 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Osage, Sinew, Rawhide painted bow. (unstrung pic added)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 11:38:48 am »
There she is.Nice lines on that shorty.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »
Pearl Drums... As for your questions it is obvious you have not worked much with sinew , rawhide, or hide glue. As many people believe a sinew backed bow can not be used in a wet condition, this is true to an extent, it can not be used in a constant wet condition, constant being the key word. Now sinew backing can not be "sealed" by itself. You can add rawhide or snakeskin or even canvas like some of the old Sioux bows had to cover the sinew and help seal out the moisture, which works to some extent. Sometimes clay was mixed with the hide glue to do this also. Hide glue can withstand alot of moisture before becoming damaged, you actually would have to soak a good sinew backed bow in water for a few days for the hide glue to give way enough to remove the sinew.
The rawhide on this bow does protect the sinew but was only added to give me a smooth surface to paint on, Now the paint being a modern acrylic will seal the rawhide as the paint is water proof. As for the water soluable hide glue it is there to put a layer over the paint to avoid the paint being scratched from an occasional scrape up against a tree or some other real world situation that we have all had while hunting or shooting.
If that does not answer your question fully feel free to p.m. me an we can discuss further the amazing properties of sinew, rawhide and water soluable hide glue.

Eric

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 08:55:07 am »
That's another amazing bow Sir ! You sure do get most, and best, out of all your materials.
BTW, are you in Oklahoma or Missouri ? ( The "Bodark" was a clue..)  ;)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 09:13:17 am »
very nice :)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »
Paul...you guessed it..an okie!  :laugh:

Offline Gaur

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:55 pm »
Really nice bow Eric.  Your post about the sinew reminds me of a visit to Jaap.  He had a really old broken Asiatic horn bow that he wanted to study to see how they made them.  It took him a week with it in the bathtub to get the sinew and glue to start to break down.  He has it all taken apart in pieces and behind a glass frame. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17:40 pm »
Say now Indian Guy that's blasphamos[think that's the way to spell it....LOL] using acrylic paint on that bow. ;D
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 11:40:08 pm »
Paul...you guessed it..an okie!  :laugh:

I thought so... ;) I used to live near Tulsa.
When I moved to Kansas I had learn to call bodark "hedge", otherwise folks didn't know what I was talking about.

Offline okie64

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 12:12:47 am »
Beautiful piece of "bodark". Looks like a great treestand bow at that length.