Author Topic: Most recent failure...  (Read 4056 times)

Offline billy

Re: Most recent failure...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 02:05:58 pm »
Dang, that sux.  Sorry to see that beautiful bow in 2 pieces.  I have to agree with George though...possibly the handle wasn't thick enough.  That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the bow to break like that.  Even though it's thicker, just a little bend in an area that's narrowed like that could have caused the break.  I'm no expert on laminated bows though, so take what I say with a grain....actually with a pile of salt!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »
Yes, it sucks to see that bow broken. It would of been sweet! I think it is hard to tell why it broke without a tiller photo. It might of been bending too much in the handle. But it might of been rotted hickory, have you had more bows break with this hickory you got? I got some bad hickory, it was worthless as a backing. Most of been dry rotted or something. But normally with hickory it should be dang good at staying together, even with less than straight grain, and your grain is just fine. I always suspect erc when I hear a bow broke that has had anything to do with erc,  ;D. All the erc bows, and one bow with a erc core, exploded on me. I thought people were exaggerating about erc blowing up, but it definitely has done that with me. If a pine selfbow made from a 2x4 blew up, and it had erc overlays, I would blame the erc. lol ( Ok I will stop blaspheming erc before someone brings up marc st.louis's erc warbow, :) ). I would go with the walnut on the belly next time too, erc seems pretty easy to crush the belly fibers of, especially backed with hickory.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 08:03:00 pm »
No wood is a sure bet. I've broken osage and hickory and those 2 are in the least danger of breaking. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 03:41:09 pm »
I have been told ERC is elastic in compression. IMO ERC isn't great in either tension or compression...
ERC is very elastic though.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"