Author Topic: hide glue ?'s  (Read 2985 times)

Offline anasazi

hide glue ?'s
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:04 am »
Not sure if this is the place to ask let me know if its not. I want to mix up some hide glue for some arrows i am  making  and was going to add some pigment to some ( unless there is a better binder for it)  and i believe i can refrigerate extra glue for a bit but can i let it dry out instead? Will it destroy the jar its in? And how easy will it reconstitute ok?

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: hide glue ?'s
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:32:57 pm »
I can't testify to the binding properties of mixing pigment to your glue, but I've always been under the impression that it would weaken the glue. Hide glue is often mixed with pigment so that the pigment will bond to a surface, but if you are using the glue to attach fletchings and points I would glue first, and then paint over the top of the glue.
You can refridgerate glue for several days, but if you leave it too long it will start to mold. Drying it is the best way to store it. It is easily reconstituted with warm water. I bought a cheap double boiler for my glue. It makes it easy to heat without scorching the glue, and then I can remove the top (that contains the glue) and let the glue dry. if you have a pot of glue that is pretty full, there is also a danger of molding simply because the glue can't dry out fast enough.
Hope this helps.    CC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »
Don't use hide glue to attach points. It is not flexy.
Depending on your pigment, it can be dried out and powdered. That is the normal way to store it.
Without pigment, it reconstitutes fine. It will not damage a glass or plastic container, but it might be hard to scrub off.
Make sure you coat your arrows with something as hide glue is not waterproof.
For points use pine pitch. You do not need a pigment binder.
You also do not need to buy a double boiler.
Get a medium size can- like a baked beans can or so. 8-12 oz cans are best IMO for small-normal quantities. tuna cans are good for small quantities. 
Put your water  + glue or ready-made glue into it and put it into a pan or pot of water, make sure it floats or at least the top of the can is far above water level. heat the water, bingo.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:50:26 pm »
I agree that a double boiler is not a necessity, but it is an inexpensive luxury that I like tremendously. Among other things I've heated glue in  plastic yogurt containers in the microwave, and mussel shells beside an open fire. In the upper part of the double boiler I leave a small amount of dried glue at all times. Since the boiler comes with a lid, I can keep it covered once it is dried, and I can keep it on a shelf in my shop indefinitely. No problems with mice, dust, etc. When I am ready to heat it, I put a little water in the glue, and put water in the bottom part of the boiler and it is ready to heat. I can heat it on the kitchen stove, the barbecue grill or my Coleman stove in the shop and never worry about scorcing it. Like I say,,,,, not necessary, but I like the convenience.   Curtis

Offline anasazi

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »
If i understand it right. Before you use hide glue to glue your fletchings down you are supose to coat the shaft in that area with hide glue that is where i want to use the pigmented glue i have what i think is an iron oxide ( not sure it was just a red rock)  that i have powdered. Figured it would add decoration and make them easier to see then use regular hide glue for fletching.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:07 am »
You are cresting your arrows below the fletching with iron oxide mixed with hide glue. If I am understanding you correctly, you want to paint on the cresting and then glue the feathers down over the paint. You shouldn't have any problems getting that to work. I do that with red ochre all the time. Don't cake the paint on to heavily.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:03:54 pm »
I've mixed hide glue with iron oxides for a red paint and have had mixed results on arrows.
need to experiment with it more , it seems it CAN be a problem as a base paint when one applies warm hide glue over it.
I've had it kind of bubble up and flake under the warm glue.
maybe i added TOO MUCH red iron? is this why it peeled?
maybe raw shafts needed prepped first with alcohol?
I have a lot of unsolved questions of my own.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
  I've added anler fileings a couple times before. I really can't see any difference.
  I also use antler fileing in pine pitch glue. No as messy as carcole and works as good or better.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline anasazi

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »
Got tomorrow off hopefully i can get some more pitch glue made up and give hide glue a try also. Thanks for your help.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:26 am »
Tried mixing the iron oxide with hide glue today. Didnt seem to do much i dont know if the particulate was still to big ( it was a pretty fine dust)  it just wouldnt stay suspended in the glue not sure if the glue was thick enough for it or if i just didnt have enough powder in there guess ill have to try something elae thanks for your help every one

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 09:17:06 am »
Mix your pigment with water and then mix in a little hide glue. Only a small amount of glue is needed. Do not make the pigment and water mixture pasty. The mixture needs to be fairly thin.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »
I think James Parker(Robustus) used prickly pear juice with natural pigments to decorate some of his Asiatic Horn Bows. Egg whites might work too. Of course you'd have to seal over both of these.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline anasazi

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 06:56:31 pm »
The hide glue mixture was pretty thin but all the powder settled to the bottom  i couldnt keep it suspended. I ended up using egg yolk instead so we will see how it turned out ill try to post some pics later today.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:43 pm »
The hide glue mixture was pretty thin but all the powder settled to the bottom  i couldnt keep it suspended. I ended up using egg yolk instead so we will see how it turned out ill try to post some pics later today.
Congrats. You just made tempera paint.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:22:39 pm »
I cannot add any insight to the pigment question but I have another method for storing hide glue.  I freeze it. I cool the can and stick it in a freezer bag so the moisture stays put.  When you need it, simplly pull the can out and warm it and use.

I also don't use a double boiler.  I use an old candle wax warmer.  It heats things to just the right temp and never gets too hot.

Take that for what it is worth.