Author Topic: Average shot distance ?  (Read 7386 times)

Offline Moggy

Re: Average shot distance ?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 04:04:01 am »
20 and in. I hunted with a Compound prior to 1995 and even with sights and let off most of my shots were 20 and in.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 12:18:23 am »
For target shooting,which i consider 3D to be included,you should be able to hit as far as you are practiced to.I hear about selfbows being limited all the time on these sites,and it simply isnt true.there were field rounds shot by early archers,with selfbows of lighter weights and their scores ,were better,than most today with modern laminates.

As for hunting,

I hear folks constantly talking about how far a hunting shots they can make.Im more impressed by how close they can get.Target archery is about seeing how far you can shoot and still hit your mark.Archery hunting,is seeing how close you can get to never miss your mark.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »
For me....not over 20 yards.....

When I shoot and move back to 20 I say, "This is easy....or as easy as it gets with a longbow".

When I move back to 30 I say, "Holy Distance!  That's FAR!"
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 06:36:00 pm »
I bet none of you say Holy Distance!

Anyway, I don't hunt.. but past 20 yards i feel like i couldn't hit a deer in 10 shots.
20 yards is pretty far.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:45 pm »
I don't have a max distance that I go by. Like others, I practice roving in the woods just picking a stump or leaf to shoot at. If I had to give an average distance of my harvests over the years it would be less than 20 yards with most being 15 yards and under. If the situation feels right I take the shot, a lot of times without much thought. This is where the practice kicks in and takes the lead.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:37 am »
  I do pay attention to yardage, mostly work or practice from 1-15yds. I gap shoot and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I also shoot stone points and like to keep it close as possible for penetration. I know exactly where to aim inside my limit and usually can stay in a grapefruit size pattern on a bad day. On the days I don't shoot I have a hefty fiberglass bow that I draw repeatedly to stay in shape so I'm not fighting my primitive bow outside. I believe for me archery condition is number 1, then practice my shooting.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »
I hunt live in AZ. Open country, wary game and rough terrain.
For practice I shoot out to 35-40yds with matched arrows. Primitive/self arrows I might shoot out to 25-30yds. It all depends on practice and knowing your equipment. Would I hunt out to these extreme ranges with primitive equipment No. But practicing at these ranges develops into better shooting form and release IMO. I instantly know if I plucked or didn't come to full draw/anchor at 30 yds. Also shooting at longer ranges makes them 15-20 yarders a chip shot when the time comes.
The farther I move back from the target the more I cant the bow to the right to compensate for the paradox. I shoot right-handed and my hunting bow is an Osage Selfbow 62# at 26".
For instance If I held this same bow at the same angle at 20yds (my normal comfort cant) and I move back to 35-40yds, there is dramatic difference in arrow impact, mainly tendency to shoot left. So farther back I move the more I cant my bow. Its amazing the difference this makes. I'm sure I could improve my "groups" by finding a correct spine at these farther distances, but why. At 23yds I can darn near "stack" all my arrows in my quiver into a 6" group. At beyond 30yds the difference in arrow spines becomes evident. I could tinker with the arrows but I just don't want to, I want to shoot. With all this practice I could even predict which arrow does what at a certain ranges. My two skinny boo arrows have always shot high, my POC shafts point-on at 25-28yds, self arrows low left and so on. My point is practice, its amazing what the "brain" can do.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 01:45:21 am »
I practice out to 40 yards. But I've never loosed an arrow at game at more than 20 yards.
Gordon