Author Topic: First harvest for this guy in NH  (Read 1969 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

First harvest for this guy in NH
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »
About a month ago a gentleman that I have coffee with in the morning once and a while told me that he had some ash trees on his property and if I wanted one for bows that I could have one. There was no thought needed and I said absolutely. Well this morning at 0700 hours my phone rings and it is Ed. "I'm heading to the property and if you want to get that ash come on up cause I'm cutting trees." So I jumped out of bed... loaded my dog into the truck and met him about 10 miles from my house on his property. He pointed to a tree and told me that was ash. The trunk of the tree was straight and there was no limbs coming off of it. I took his word and said that would work just fine. Ed started the chainsaw and it was down in a few minutes. He cut two 7 foot sections and I loaded one at a time over my shoulders and hiked them 100 yards to my truck. Once both logs were in the truck I shook his hand and thanked him. We sat there for about 30 minutes chatting about hunting and then I was on my way back home.
Well... before I got home I told myself I had no wedges or a sledge hammer to get the job done. A quick stop at T.S. and 60 dollars later I had what I needed and backed into the driveway.

Two hours later I had what I thought was 9 beautiful staves ready to be sealed and stored in the top floor of my garage to dry. Please help me confirm that this is Ash. I searched the inter web and from pictures it looked to be.... FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Anyways here are some pictures.....

The outer most ring is really thin so I think when it is time I will just remove it and use the next growth ring.... Hope by cutting it at this time I did not do anything wrong which would hurt me in the long run. All staves are between 83 and 70 inches long and pretty dog gone straight. I hope to have them all sealed and stacked by tomorrow after I work the midnight shift tonight.... its almost bedtime for me now.

Comments and tips are certainly welcomed... Hope ya'll had a good weekend... I sure did even if I am fighting a wicked cold!

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: First harvest for this guy in NH
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:13:32 pm »
If you could have snagged a leaf or taken a picture of the tree that would have made IDing easier.  There's certainly no reason why it couldn't be ash.  The barks look similar to me.  http://treedoctor.anr.msu.edu/ash/ashtree_id.html
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:41:54 pm »
You don't need to take it down any rings the thickness of a ring does not matter on the back
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:48:26 pm »
The natural back under the bark is the best you can get. Why go to all that work when it is not necessary. Seal the backs and end and let them season. Keep them off thev concrete floor with board spacers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:03:02 pm »
Yup looks like ash. Bark is rght and I'm guessing it split stupid easy for you.

It's been said, no need to chase a ring.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 04:37:04 pm »
Ok guys... backs and sides are all clear coated with polyurethane, gonna stack them on boards tomorrow once I make room for them. Splitting was pretty easy. The bark came off in a sheet which was perfect. All ready to waste time and season the summer and fall away and hope a few will be ready for the winter to make a new bow for the 2014 turkey season... I yet to make a huntable selfbow... we shall see!

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »
lucky